Jetson Orin NX 16GB flash issue: error: failed to read rcm_state

Jetson Orin NX 16GB flash issue:
Device is reComputer J40 Dev Kit from seeed studio
error: failed to read rcm_state
Everything I am seeing online for this seems to point to something physically wrong with the NVMe SSD on the Jetson device, where the card can not be detected, can anyone confirm?
Steps to reproduce:
Using Windows 11 Laptop and WSL for SDK manager.
Target device is Jetson Orin NX 16GB
I followed NVIDIA instructions for setting up the latest SDK manager for WSL:
https://docs.nvidia.com/sdk-manager/wsl-systems/index.html
I followed these instructions for install of the latest SDK manager on WSL:

I followed NVIDIA instructions for Flash a Jetson Device here, but the section for attach the BUS ID to WSL was outdated, and I used the MS instructions.
I am sure the MS instructions worked bc I was able to see the device BUS ID attached , and the device was detected from WSL SDK manager flash process.
The error comes when flashing the target device, even at the OS part, just before SDK components.
error: failed to read rcm_state
I was not able to attach screenshot of the error, and I was not able to access the full logs from WSL.

Really nothing we can do without log.
Anyway, WSL2 does not work out-of-box, and you need to re-build the kernel for WSL2:

Thank you for your response.
How do I attach files in this forum? I only see a solution, flag, edit, bookmark, delete, link and reply as options in the forum, no attach.
When you say WSL2 does not work out-of-box, and you need to re-build the kernel for WSL2:
Are you referring to this step? wsl --install -d Ubuntu 22.04?
I followed the NVIDIA instructions on how to use SDK manager for WLS.
I will look into how to access the logs from WSL.

NO.
Did you ever read the link?
I mean the Linux kernel shipped by Microsoft will not work, and you have to re-build the kernel used by WSL2.

Or you don’t know what is Linux kernel?
If that’s too difficult for you, go get a real Ubuntu PC and forget WSL2.

I see the WSL 2 part now, when I first read the link it seemed like a response to a different topic about AGX PCIE bandwidth test.

I am surprised NVIDIA did not mention that rebuild of WSL 2 in the instructions for using SDK manager from WSL documentation.

Does SDK manager from Ubuntu Docker work to flash the Jetson Orin NX 16 GB, with NVMe SSDs?

I tried that also but WSL seemed more stable when I briefly tested both.

If SDK manager from Ubuntu Docker is supposed to work out of the box on the Orin NX then I will put more time into that before rebuilding the WSL 2 .

Docker on Windows also requires WSL2 as the backend kernel, so that means the same.

I have WSL2 as the backend kernel, so I will follow the instructions in that post you shared for rebuild of the kernel.
I would love to just use a Ubuntu Laptop, but I have limitations to the OS I can have on my company laptop, it must be Windows. :)

Thanks for the information. The instructions for WSL2 rebuild with configuration specific to fix the issue where for a different version of windows I am using, and there were some other differences.
I was able to get approval to create a Ubuntu PC with one of our company laptops, it seems this is the safest path forward.
This issue is resolved.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.