Jetson AGX Orin FAQ

Q: How do I know which Jetson Linux release I am using?

Please execute the command to get information:

$ cat /etc/nv_tegra_release
# R35 (release), REVISION: 1.0, GCID: 31346300, BOARD: t186ref, EABI: aarch64, DATE: Thu Aug 25 18:41:45 UTC 2022

If you see R34, the release is developer preview, and please upgrade to at least >= r35.1

Q: How to know if I use Orin developer kit or Orin 32GB module?

Please execute the command:

$ cat /etc/nv_boot_control.conf

And check the information:

[Orin developer kit]
TNSPEC 3701-RC1-0000-C.0-1-1-jetson-agx-orin-devkit-
[Orin 32GB module]
TNSPEC 3701-500-0004-G.0-1-1-jetson-agx-orin-devkit-

Q: How can we get UART log from AGX Orin developer kit for further debugging?

Please refer to this page: Jetson/General debug - eLinux.org

Q: I hit an issue and need to have a solution. Could you help?

We have quick solutions for some known issues. Please check
Jetson/L4T - eLinux.org

Q: I get a USB timeout error during flash Orin. How to resolve that?

A known issue for ubuntu 20.04 host is the USB autosuspend function is enabled on it by default. This leads to Jetson recovery mode gets suspended before flash. To bypass this error, need to:

1. Disable autosuspend on host PC with below command:

sudo -s
echo -1 > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/autosuspend

1. Plug out the USB cable, put jetson back into recovery mode again and plug the usb cable back.

If USB timeout is still there after above commands, please file a topic to forum and let moderator help check.

Q: Is there any example of running RTSP streaming?

Please download test-launch.c of 1.16.2:
gst-rtsp-server/examples/test-launch.c at 1.16.2 · GStreamer/gst-rtsp-server · GitHub
And refer to steps in Jetson Nano FAQ

Q: Is there an example for running UDP streaming?
Q: How to autorun an app or commands at startup?

A: Please refer to Jetson Nano FAQ

Q: I have a USB camera. How can I launch it on AGX Orin?

A: Please refer to Jetson Nano FAQ
nvoverlaysink is deprecated on Jetpack 5 releases. Please use nv3dsink, nveglglessink, or nvdrmvideosink.

Q: Is hardware acceleration enabled in ffmpeg?

Wee have enabled hardware decoding. Hardware encoding is not supported.
Please check developer guide
and this post for downloading source code and building the package

Q: There is a wait in UEFI stage. How to disable it to accelerate system booting?

Please refer to the UEFI source
edk2-nvidia/Platform/NVIDIA/NVIDIA.common.dsc.inc at main · NVIDIA/edk2-nvidia · GitHub

gEfiMdePkgTokenSpaceGuid.PcdPlatformBootTimeOut|L"Timeout"|gEfiGlobalVariableGuid|0x0|5

This 5 seconds is for user to interrupt and enter UEFI menu. It could be customized setting to 0 to disable.

Q: Is there any tips for debugging UEFI?

Please rebuild the UEFI source with the link above. After you rebuild it, there would be a debug version of binary. Please replace the old “uefi_jetson.bin” file in your BSP folder and then reflash the board. It will enable full log in UEFI.

Q: There is an error in source_sync.sh script. How to resolve it?

If you are syncing rel-35.2.1 and as below error. Then it is not fatal. Those files are not needed for Orin compilation. You could just ignore it.
Fatal: remote error: access denied or repository not exported: /device/hardware/nvidia/platform/t23x/prometheus-dts

Q: Flashing over USBSS.

Flashing over USBSS is not supported at present.

Q: Is the DC Jack on Xavier devkit compatible to that of Orin?

Yes, they are compatible, and some customer validated that.

Q: What is the Orin power consumption of SC7?

The CVM power at SC7 is ~300mW. The CVM+CVB total power is close to 1.1W.

Q: RTC0 or RTC1 for default RTC clock during power off?

The Orignial default RTC source is set as RTC1 (Orin_RTC), which can not keep time if power off. So a patch to set default RTC to RTC0 (PSEQ_RTC) is needed.

Q: Does MGBE lines support P/N reversal?

Yes, the 10G ethernet PHY support P/N correction automatically. To make the trace smooth, we swap P and N.

Q: What is the usage of pin MOD_TEMP_SHDN_EN_N (J62) in P3737_A04?

MOD_TEMP_SHDN_EN_N is not used on commercial module. It is for Auto/industrial module to gate buffers of temp_therm and soc_pwr_req. Suggest to short to GND to keep the messaging consistent across all modules: floating = TEMP_THERM and SOC_PWR_REQ gated, GND= un-gated.

Q: Is there a signal output can be used to indicate a SW RESET thing?

There is no explicit pin on Orin that indicates an internal SW reset has occurred. Internal SW reset does not propagate to the IO pin. One way to set an indicator is to use the internal watchdog timer and use WDT_RESET_OUTA (GP63) or WDT_RESET_OUTB (GP21) as the indicator. Both signals are available on the CVM connector.

Q: How to enable HDMI on Orin AGX if I design a custom board?

Please refer to below post to modify necessary software change in device tree and pinmux.

Q: How to read bootloader version with userspace command?

$ cat /sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id/bios_version
$ cat /sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id/bios_date

Q: Why thermal zone/tegrastats reports -256C?

The GPU, CV power rails might be turned off at idle by run time power management. The temperature cannot be read from GPU, CV thermal sensors when the power is off. Attempts to read a sensor with the power off will return error code -256000.

Q: How to run realsense camera on Orin devices?

Please reference detail steps from: Problem installing Intel d435 camera - #5 by carolyuu

Q: Where to download the Cypress firmware for AGX Orin?

Please go to the page: https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/jetson-linux-r3521

Additional Files

Please note it can be used for either Jetpack 5 version, not specific to r35.2.1

Q: How to run developer kit in headless mode?

Please refer to this post
The example is for Orin Nano and applicable to AGX Orin, Orin NX. Please ensure correct device tree file is modified.

Q: How to configure VNC w/o monitor connected for Jetson?

Please reference detail steps from: What is the best way to control the jetson Orin GUI remotely? - #5 by KevinFFF

Q: My device got stuck in “recovery boot”. How to recover without reflashing?

please refer to this post

Q: In UEFI, Why press F9 to Reset to Defaults will cause Auto Boot Time-out to 0s?

It’s an known issue, but it would not affect the functionality of UEFI.
Auto Boot Time-out means the timeout for waiting user’s interrupt to enter UEFI menu.

Q: Why my device enters into recovery boot after successive reboots?

It may be caused from that you run reboot command before nv-l4t-bootloader-config.service gets ready.
You could refer to https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/reset-timing-of-boot-retry-count/277168/7 for the logic of retry count.

Q: How to flash external storage devices with WSL2?

For flashing eMMC/SD card with flash.sh, the default setting of WSL2 will work fine.

However, if you are trying to use initrd flash to flash NVMe/USB, please refer to the following post to re-build the Linux kernel with a customized kernel config, as the default kernel of WSL2 shipped by Microsoft lacks some functionalities that are required for initrd flash to work.

Q: How to test DMA performance of Orin PCIe EP ?

For rel-35, need to follow below post

1 Like