Jetson Reboots soon when using webcam and mtcnn.detect

Hi,

I wanted to run some simple python scripts with face detection on jetson nano 2gb, however it causes jetson to reboot soon after the script starts. I expect the issue is around line mtcnn.detect(frame, landmarks=True) (facenet-pytorch lib). This happens in both cases when detection is running on gpu or cpu.

Can you help me figure out the cause? Is it cpu/gpu overheating? …doing out of memory? Where can I find any related logs or even better avoid reboots?

thanks

Hi,

Sometimes the power starvation will cause Jetson to reboot.
To classify the root cause, could you set the nvpmodel to 5W mode and try it again?

$ sudo nvpmodel -m 1

Thanks.

Hi AastaLLL,

same happens with nvpmodel -m 1 or nvpmodel -m 0 . What does this mean?

Unfortunately, I do not have direct access to the charger to check voltage etc. right now…

I also noticed that it takes ~30 sec longer before the reboot when running the computation on cpu as compared to running on gpu.

Thanks

Hi,

This will setup Nano for different power budget.
You can find the detailed below:

https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/l4t/index.html#page/Tegra%20Linux%20Driver%20Package%20Development%20Guide/power_management_nano.html#wwpID0E0FL0HA

If the issue still happens, could you share the detailed reproducing steps with us?

Thanks.

Hi AastaLLL,

I finally managed to get my hands on the jetson again, Steps to reproduce the issue are:

1. start jetson
  2. start gui sudo systemctl start gdm3.service
  3. connect webcam (quite old one actually Microsoft Lifecam VX 1000)
  4. python3 webcam.py (attached)
  5. jetson reboots after a couple of seconds

webcam.py (1.7 KB)

Same happens for nvpmodel -m 1 or 0 . My power supply output is 5V=3A/9V=2A/10V=1.5A and no reboots happens while using jetson nano for browsing web etc.

Do you have any ideas how to track down the problem?

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

We are going to reproduce this issue in our environment.
And share more information with you later.

Hi,

We cannot reproduce this issue in our environment with Nano 2GB.
Although the fps is low and display is delayed, Nano doesn’t reboot in our environment.
So this issue may be related to the power supply.

May I know what kind of power supply do you use?
It is possible that Nano reboot itself if meet a power starvation.

Could you check the below topic for more information first?

Thanks.

Hi,

I tried 2 different power adapters (both capable of 5V=3A) and 3 different usbc cables but reboots keep happening. But I managed to move further and collected some logs.

I have a slightly updated python script webcam.py (1.7 KB) so it uses GPU/cuda this time where reboots are more frequent and happens earlier. I would appreciate if you could give it a try and check stability on your device.

This time running without system GUI, I collected logs by recording on phone:

The misery starts with unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address and continues quickly all the way down to Kernel panic - not syncing...

Any idea what this could be related to? Could this be related to power starvation?

Thanks

Hi,

I tried again with a different webcam (IP webcam) this time. No more reboots. Seems the reboots / crashes were indeed caused by the aged Lifecam HW.

Thanks for your help AastaLLL

For anyone interested, I am using Android Droidcam as IP Cam and reading frames as simple as (no setup needed on jetson):

cv2.VideoCapture("http://192.168.2.101:4747/mjpegfeed")

Good to know this!
Thanks for the update.