Jetson xavier nx boot from sd card

How to boot from sd card with jetson xavier nx?

I am using jetson xavier nx with A203 carrier board V2.
The initial setup has jetson linux R32.7.3 written to the eMMC.

I would like to write a jetpack 5.1.1 image to the sd card and boot from the sd card.

Currently, I have completed writing the jetpack 5.1.1 image to the sd card from my Mac using Etcher.
I have tried the following two things to see if I can boot from the sd card, but have not been able to do so.

1. edit /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf (boot configuration file) to boot from the image in the sdcard
    1.1 Edit the default /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf as follows (add LABEL for sdcard, set DEFAULT to sdcard, and root for sdcard to the sdcard partition (mmcblk1p1))
TIMEOUT 30
DEFAULT sdcard

MENU TITLE L4T boot options

LABEL primary
      MENU LABEL primary kernel
      LINUX /boot/Image
      INITRD /boot/initrd
      APPEND ${cbootargs} quiet root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootwait rootfstype=ext4 console=ttyTCU0,115200n8 console=tty0 fbcon=map:0 net.ifnames=0

LABEL sdcard
      MENU LABEL sdcard kernel
      LINUX /boot/Image
      INITRD /boot/initrd
      APPEND ${cbootargs} quiet root=/dev/mmcblk1p1 rw rootwait rootfstype=ext4 console=ttyTCU0,115200n8 console=tty0 fbcon=map:0 net.ifnames=0

1.2 Restart
1.3 Log at boot time indicates that kernel module failed to load

1. change the order of boot devices from UEFI
    I tried to change the order of boot devices from the UEFI screen by referring to the following page, but the UEFI screen did not appear when I pressed the ESC key at boot time.
    UEFI Adaptation — Jetson Linux Developer Guide documentation the-uefi-menu

Could you please tell me the correct procedure to boot jetson xavier nx from the sd card?
Thank you in advance.

but the UEFI screen did not appear when I pressed the ESC key at boot time.

I feel the real issue you hit now is this one. But this one needs to be fixed by board vendor.
I guess the issue here is all the USB does not work in UEFI.

Thank you for your answer.

To change the order of boot devices, is it the only way that we modify it from the UEFI menu?
What is the correct way to bring up the UEFI menu?

You can try to use the serial console to access the UEFI boot order instead of the usb keyboard on jetson.

But I don’t know if your custom board is able to access serial console or not.

Thank you

What I want to know now is, in order to change the boot order, is it enough to change the boot order from the UEFI?

Yes, it should be sufficient.

Thank you for your answer, I got it.

What is the correct procedure to bring up the UEFI menu with the usb keyboard connected to the carrier board? (not using serial console)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.