K2 Compatibility

Question we have some older K2 cards that are passively cooled. I’m told they are not compatible with the Dell Poweredge T630 are they compatible with the R730s? Thank you

If using VMware/Citrix you need to check appropriate hypervisor HCL. If GRID phsyical the NVIDIA certified list.

The reference section on this KB has links to all of the above: Can NVIDIA Kepler (e.g. K1 / K2) and Maxwell (e.g. M60 / M6 / M10) GPU cards be mixed on a server host? | NVIDIA

Any questions do come back and ask (or even let us know you found the info you needed!)

This might also be of use/interest: Error | NVIDIA

Best wishes,
Rachel

Hi Rachel, I found a Dell forum post that seemed to indicate it was good. We are doing vGPU not sure if that makes a difference since this compatibility matrix is for vDGA?

Don’t take this as fact, but I have a T630 and those cards are actively cooled with an additional bracket with 2 small fans on it. Because of the cooling design of that chassis it requires the A version as dell calls them (K2A). I believe the R730 uses the normal K2 (passive) cooled cards like the HP DL380 G8/G9 which depends on the airflow and design of the chassis itself.

This is my understanding based on research and talking to Dell when we were deciding between the T630 and R730 and trying to figure out what cards we needed/if we could reuse our existing passively cooled K2 card.

VMware GRID vGPU FAQs (section on certified servers): http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/horizon/vmware-nvidia-grid-vgpu-FAQ.pdf

Thanks jstroebel

Side note does anyone have knowledgeable Dell/Nvidia resources they could send me? Filled out the contact us deal on the site here but I haven’t been contacted yet.

What resources are you looking for?

Dell have some reference architectures on their site such as this one with Citrix XenDesktop.

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/shared-content~data-sheets~en/documents~dvs-enterprise-graphics-reference-architecture.pdf?c=us&l=en&s=biz&cs=555

The R730 supports K2’s that have right to left airflow, so as long as the boards you have are this configuration they will be supported.

To check airflow, there’s an arrow on the board. Look at the board so you can read the Nvidia name on the front then look at the arrow on top.

You may require additional components in the chassis (risers, power cables etc) you should confirm with Dell on this as each chassis is different.