License Manager Problem: Failed to checkout license

I’m at my wits end trying to get our compiler to run. We have a license file and i’ve placed it in the correct directory and followed the directions to a T and still this error persists. I do not have much Linux experience so it looks like everything is set up correctly but if someone could tell me what this mean i would be much obliged:

[root@XXXXXXXX ~]# pgf77 -V x.f

pgf77 6.2-5 64-bit target on x86-64 Linux
Copyright 1989-2000, The Portland Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright 2000-2006, STMicroelectronics, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
pgf77-linux86-64: LICENSE MANAGER PROBLEM: Failed to checkout license
pgf77-linux86-64: LICENSE MANAGER PROBLEM: License server machine is down or not responding.
See the system adminstrator about starting the license server system, or
make sure you’re referring to the right host (see LM_LICENSE_FILE).
Feature: pgf77-linux86-64
Hostname: penguin
License path: /opt/pgi/license.dat
FLEXnet Licensing error:-96,7
For further information, refer to the FLEXnet Licensing End User Guide,
available at “www.macrovision.com”.

Oh come on, somebody is looking at these. I’d understand not having phone support if people actually answered e-mails and forum post but this is ridiculous. I’m definitely not impressed with this company so far.

Hi Jzelek,

I passed your question on to customer support last Friday and they should have responded. Note that for licensing questions regarding specific accounts, I need to pass this information on to customer support (I don’t have access to individual account information). For more timely service, please email customer service directly at license@pgroup.com or trs@pgroup.com.

Thanks,
Mat

I can relate to what you’re saying. Given the amount of hassle involved in getting the license keys to work when you’re just trying the compiler to see how it stacks up against the competition, it would have to be quite staggeringly better to actually put up with. At least Intel got their license key setup right - you just paste it in at install time and everything just works.