License Manager with 90 days trials

I was wondering if during the 90 days trial the license manager works as it should because now it doesn’t seem to shows any counts/ConnectedClients

Host: Dell R730 + Tesla M10 + Win2016
Guests: Win10, win2012R2 and Win10 with DDA assigned GPU.

We wanted to use this configuration as RDSH server mainly, baremetal I guess it’s the name.

thanks,
alaxa

Ok, shame on me, I did a better check on my Win2016 Host and the server was not connected to the license server. Once connected it decreased the counter by one (now 127).
Now I have two questions:

• inside the host I am running some VM through HyperV. They are RemoteFX connected. Why doesn’t the license counter decrease each time I log in and use the GPU (Chrome Experiments test) ?
  • same as above but with a GPU assigned via DDA, license counts doesn’t change.
  • is there a better way to set and check this connection from the Host to the license server? Nvidia CtrlPanel can be run only from a console and not from a RemoteDesktop session.

thanks,
a.

Ok, good to know, but I still don’t get it.
I set up a mini-VDI environment (10 VMs with RemoteFX inside), everything into the same machine. I expected the license number decresead each time a client connected to a VM, but instead the number is still the same, the one got from the HyperV host (which in the previous test acted like a RemoteDesktopServiceHost)
tomorrow the trial will expire and we still don’t know what and how many licenses ask for.

Thanks,
a.

Whether your users are on VDI, RDSH or just using Published Apps, licenses are per concurrent user.

Where it becomes a little more interesting, is when you decide how you want to deliver those resources (hence the A, B & Q variants).

Page 10 if you need more clarity:

Regards

Dear BJones,
I guess you are referring to this part:
A CCU license is required for every user who is
accessing or using the software at any given time, whether or not an active connection to
the virtualized desktop or session is maintained.

our test involved 3 or 4 different users connected at the same time to

1. same RDSH server (one license got from LicenseManager)
  2. different VMs into the same VDI system (one license got from LicenseManager)

I thought that each time a user connects to one of the above resources one license is dropped by LicenseManager. Perhaps the term "USER" is meant as "device connected to the licenseManager", which in this case is of course the same server.
So the question is only how many CCUs to buy.

thanks,
a.

Same answer.

How many users do you have that will connect to a resource provided by a GRID GPU? …

Eg: 5x Windows 7 workstations + 5x RDSH desktop sessions + 5x users launching Published Apps = 15 licenses.

Regarding the license count on the server, with VDI, licenses are allocated from the license server (at least they are when I use XenDesktop). With RDSH, I guess there’s a little trust involved at this stage. However, I’m sure that the license server will evolve to take all connection methods into consideration in due course.

Ok, so even if now the license manager seems not to count them, I’ll choose as many will be the users that will be connected simultaneously (around 30).

Thanks,
a.

Yes, but as said, this is where (at this stage) a little trust is required. If you know that you’ll have (for example) 65 Concurrent sessions accessing the platform, you "should" have 65 licenses available on the license server.

This is obviously open to abuse, as there are those out there that will take advantage of this, so I’m sure it won’t be long before NVIDIA modify the license server so that "trust" is no longer part of the equation.

As nvjcc mentions above, "RDSH sessions are not currently tracked". However, I’d imagine it won’t be long before they are…

Regards

Well,
thanks for the explanation. Just one more quick question, if you are entitled for an answer.
If we bought 30 vPC licenses (711-5GRID-VPCS-ED1) are we able to upgrade to another type (711-5GRID-VWSS-ED1) within the same year paying only the difference? Or should we buy another NEW license and trash the old one?

Thanks,
a.

Hi alexa,

unfortunately we currently don’t have an upgrade path for licensing. That said you would need to buy new licenses.
I want to add an addition to Bens licensing explanation. As you might have seen if you buy for example a vWS license you will get a vApp license in the license portal "in addition".
So in the scenario above if you have 5 users with client OS VDI + 5 RDSH sessions for the same users you are fine with the bought vWS or vPC license.

Regards

Simon

Thanks Simon

Yes, sorry if that wasn’t clear. I was trying to make the point that regardless of how you connect, the licensing is per CCU, thanks for clarifying :-)

I’ve spoken to a GRID Product Manager last night and their stance in addition to Simons feedback is that you would need to contact an NVIDIA Sales Rep, and they will work through the issue with you. However, it’s far easier to order the correct licenses in the first place. The document listed above has all the appropriate information for making an informed decision.

Regards