Limitations for CPU which used with Quadro RTX 8000

Hi
I want use Quadro RTX 8000 and AMD EPYC 7702 CPU (200 watts) in HPE ProLiant DL385 Gen10.

Sales manager HPE sad to me that this graphics card is not supported with processors higher than 166W. So I would have to change the CPU or the Graphics card.

Is it true? Can you send to me a proof link?

Hi

I’m not familiar with current HPE power limitations, but that doesn’t sound right at all. And for HPE’s sake, I hope the Sales Manager is mistaken. I would suggest you speak to someone else at HPE about this.

Depending on your urgency, if HPE can’t currently do it, Dell can 100% support that configuration (No, I don’t work for Dell). I’m in the process of deploying dual AMD EPYC with a 240W TDP and 3x RTX 8000, so I can validate it’s definitely possible.

Speak to a different HPE Sales Manager or maybe someone technical in Pre-Sales from HPE would be better. If the answer is still the same, then depending on your urgency you may want to consider using Dell instead, as you can order those today :-)

Regards

MG

Thanks MrGRID,

I has found that info in QuickSpecs HPE ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Server:
https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00026913enw

HPE NVIDIA Quadro RTX 8000 Graphics Accelerator R1F97C
NOTE: Max Qty=1 Doublewide GPU is allowed per riser
NOTE : This option requires High Performance Fan Kit (867810-B21) and High Performance Heat sink
(882098-B21)
NOTE: This option IS NOT supported with 166W or higher Processors
NOTE: System memory restriction < 128 TB
NOTE : This GPU requires Pwr Cable Kit (871830-B21) to be selected
NOTE: Not supported on 12 LFF chassis

There are same info about all Graphics Accelerators which mentioned in the QuickSpecs:

• HPE AMD Radeon Instinct MI25 Graphics Accelerator
  • HPE NVIDIA Quadro RTX 6000 Graphics Accelerator
  • HPE NVIDIA Quadro RTX 8000 Graphics Accelerator
  • HPE NVIDIA Tesla V100 PCIe 32GB Computational Accelerator
  • HPE NVIDIA Tesla P40 24GB Computational Accelerator
  • NVIDIA Tesla M10 Quad GPU Module
  • HPE NVIDIA Tesla T4 16GB Computational Accelerator

What Dell server do you use?

Are there server platforms for AMD Epyc and Quadro RTX 8000 besides HP and Dell?

Hi

If your preference is HPE, then make sure you actually speak to someone from HPE, rather than use the on-line configurator which may not be up to date.

I’ll be deploying the PowerEdge R7525 for a customer (the Dell equivalent of the DL385). It has lots of configuration options, including the one you specifically mention above (and the on-line configurator is far easier to use then HPE’s ;-) ).

Other than HPE and Dell, there’s IBM, Cisco and Supermicro, then you’re in to lesser known brands.

I don’t use IBM or Supermicro so can’t comment on them. Cisco don’t currently list the RTX GPUs against their Servers, as Cisco only support Passive GPUs and the Passive RTX versions have only recently been released. They will support them, but I’m not sure when that will be official. If you want it today, then Dell would be my recommendation.

As with all the Server OEMs, you can safely ignore the on-line price. Once configured, get it priced properly through your distributor.

Regards

MG

Thanks MrGRID,

I like Supermicro, but I can’t find a platform which support Epyc and GPU together :(

Hi

Go with Dell. I’ve just run your spec through the configurator … You’ll be up and running in less than 2 weeks.

Regards

MG