Make Backup and Restore the image of Jetson AGX Xavier

Hi,

can someone confirm these are the right steps to make a full backup of the jetson and restore the image. I want to make sure this works.

from Full backup Nvidia Jetson Xavier - Ayachips :

Creating the backup image file

You will need a PC running ubuntu with Nvidia sdk JetPack 4.2 and 64go of free space. From this PC, ssh to your jetson (jetson is running normaly, not on restore mode).

ssh jetsonUser@JetsonIP

On the Jetson, through this ssh, stop the filesystem and force it to read only access:

echo u > /proc/sysrq-trigger

Still on the jetson, through ssh, transferring an image of full internal memory hard drive over ssh to host PC:

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 | ssh user@hostpc dd of=/media/aya/usbaya/image.raw

I am creating the raw img file in my external drive for space issue. I

This will create on your PC a 30Gb file containing a full image of the Jetson. you can now turn of jetson.

Now on you pc you can convert the .raw image to a .img image file:

cd /home/aya/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.2_Linux_P2888/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/

sudo ./mksparse -v --fillpattern=0 /media/aya/usbaya/image.raw /media/aya/usbaya/system.img

I am creating the img file in my external drive for space issue. I

Restoring the image file

Boot the Jetson on restore mode (power and middle button for 5 sec), connect it with usb to the PC.

cd /home/aya/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.2_Linux_P2888/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/

copy in this bootloader folder your backup img file and rename it system.img

sudo ./flash.sh -r jetson-xavier mmcblk0p1

done.

Thanks and Regards

1 Like

hello Benutzer493,

they are correct steps, however, instead of using dd commands. you may also clone the APP partition by using flash script.
here’s developer guide for your reference, To clone a Jetson device and flash.

note,
this only back-up user-space data, i.e. the APP partition, you should back-up/restore the target with the same JetPack release version.
you should always adding -r into the command-line to restore the image.
this -r commands will skip building system.img and reuse the existing/back-up one for image flashing.
thanks

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.