Mellanox ConnectX-4 driver update on Synology

Hello,

I have a Synology DS1821+ and I’m having a weird issue with my Mellanox ConnectX-4 card.
(I am temporarily using a 1gbit ISP modem, network overhaul is planned in the near future)

So, I’m using a SFP+ to RJ45 transceiver which does 1, 2.5, 5 and 10gbit on my NAS, and with that, I achieve the full 1gbit (WAN) connection and iperf3 also shows a 1gbit connection. But when I transfer a file over the SMB protocol to a desktop PC, i only get 30-35MB/s which i find very strange, and that is with the Mellanox card with SFP+ to RJ45 transceiver/module.

Now, with just a cat6a cable directly into a 1gbit port on the NAS mobo itself, the SMB transfer speed is completely normal at the full 1gbit, the same for all the services and WAN connection.

So I think there is something wrong with the transceiver or NIC.
Someone told me it’s okay that my ConnectX-4 card is using the mlx5_core drivers, eventhough I have a ConnectX-4 card, is this true?

I think my firmware version is up to date, but I think the driver that was already on my Synology DS1821+ mlx5_core is outdated, might this be the issue or is would it be the transceiver not working as intended?
I think the transceiver SFP+ 10gbit to RJ45 needs to ‘trick’ the NIC into believing it’s a 10gbit connection and it has to autoneg that at the RJ45 end?

Anyways, it’s probably wise to update the drivers but I don’t know which OS to select for my Synology DS1821+ all I know is this Linux-4.4.180+-x86_64-with

I also tried binding the NIC to mlx4_core but I didn’t succeed in that.
And it also does not want to run at 1000mbps with ethtool -s eth5 speed 1000
Not even with autoneg off.

I’ll wait patiently for your guys input.

Thank you for your time.

Hi jari_f1996,

mlx5 is the low-level driver implementation for the Connect-IB and ConnectX-4 and above adapters designed by NVIDIA. mlx4 VPI driver only works with ConnectX-3 and ConnectX-3. Both mlx4 and mlx5 are included in the MLNX OFED.

Please kindly found all the MLNX OFED drivers from the below link:

Please note that MLNX OFED can support most of the common OS distributions. All the major distributions, RHEL, SLES, Ubuntu and more, also come with Inbox driver for Nvidia adapters.

Thanks,
Yuying

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.