Mellanox Technologies MT25204 [InfiniHost III Lx  HCA] and linux Centos 6.2

Hi all,

I have my server with this device: Mellanox Technologies MT25204 [InfiniHost III Lx HCA] (from lspci output)

My questions:

Regards,

Hi valpenguin,

Regarding the first one - Yes, that would be the Mellanox driver for all Mellanox cards (one driver fits all ;-)

Regarding the seconds one - that is i guess a general term to represent all kind of HW offload engines. if that is so… then you need to understand that the HW is doing most of the offloading work (and the driver supports that).

Since you have a relatively old card, some of the offload functions may not be available but i am sure some others will work and you will notice the benefit. give it a try.

With the next Mellanox HCA generation (ConnectX/2/3) all modern staff is there, out of the box.

Good luck with your project.

Heh, I used to have some of those cards.

With CentOS, the easiest way to get those cards up and running is to use the CentOS provided Infiniband drivers.

From a fresh CentOS install (without Mellanox OFED), you then do:

$ sudo yum groupinstall “Infiniband Support”

In theory that should install working drivers and things should “just work”.

It’s apparently not as optimised as the Mellanox OFED stuff. But it’s a pretty useful way to get up and running at first with minimal hassles.

It’s also pretty easy to remove those packages afterwards though if you want to try a different approach (ie Mellanox OFED):

$ sudo yum groupremove “Infiniband Support”

No idea about the ToE stuff though.

Hope that’s still helpful.

Crikey! InfiniHost III Lx HCA

UPGRADE! seriously…! youll save yourself ALOT of mind bending bother by upgrading to ConnectX2…

try to avoid older cards especially CX4 cards as the connectors break of the PCB. you can get them on Ebay pretty low priced @$200-$300 with a single port QDR ConnectX2 card. ensure the firmware is @ V2.9 and youll have no problems with Centos.

Heh, they’re not that bad for home and small scale setups.

Once everything is physically hooked up, it doesn’t move around a lot.

Also, didn’t have much trouble with them back in the RHEL/CentOS 6.0/6.1 days. Haven’t used them since then though. (newer cards now)