Micro SD Not Recognized on eMMC Nano

When I plug my Micro SD card into the carrier board of my Nano, gnome-disks doesn’t show my external SD card. How do I fix this without reflashing the Nano image to the eMMC? (I really don’t want to do that)

I’m a total noob at this stuff so detailed step by step processes are much appreciated. Thanks!

Basically you are asking the same question as this post. And we don’t have direct answer to your question with same explanation. Please take a look.

I guess I’ll be returning this unit for one without eMMC…

I see Arrow is an official supplier for the Jetson Nano, is this model one without eMMC?: link

Keep in mind that if you purchased a third party carrier board+module, then this is different hardware layout than a development kit. The third party carrier board should work with an SD card, but it requires their software to flash it, not the software for the dev kit (well, it is the same if their layout is the same; the SD card of a dev kit though differs than what an eMMC model has, and so there are device tree and driver changes to their software in order that the SD card be recognized). The supplier would probably answer about why the SD card is not recognized.

Yeah, the supplier I originally used is from China and their documentation is terrible (no surprises), so I’m going to return it and buy a real NV dev kit with a supported carrier board.

Also, to make things as simple as possible I want to NOT get another device with eMMC. In my last post I found this - do you think this is an SD only dev kit?

The SD card model has its own complications, but since it is what all of the default software uses, it does simplify many things (especially getting support).

This says it is an actual dev kit (the picture looks like it too, but some third party carrier boards look almost the same):

Jetson Nano is also supported by NVIDIA JetPack, which includes a board support package (BSP)

FYI, here is NVIDIA’s listing of the Nano dev kit:
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/jetson-nano-developer-kit

Looks like that is indeed a dev kit. I do want to suggest though that when you get it you will probably still want to flash it with the most recent JetPack/SDK Manager. This requires an Ubuntu 18.04 host PC (often multiboot is preferable to a VM). The SD card models have QSPI memory on the module (which supplements the missing eMMC) which is used for boot, and the flash is for QSPI and not just the SD card (there are SD card images available, but they only work if the QSPI flashed content is a matching release). Here is a list of L4T releases (which is what actually gets flashed, and matches a given JetPack/SDKM release), and JetPack/SDKM releases:
https://developer.nvidia.com/linux-tegra
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/jetpack-archive

I mention this in part because I saw L4T R32.7.3 was just released. Whatever you get on the dev kit is probably several releases old.

Ok, thanks. I’m a little confused on the setup process. This is how I understand it:

1. Install Jetson SDK manager on an Ubuntu 18.04 machine
  2. Use the SDK manager to re-flash the QSPI with the latest firmware
  3. Write the latest SD image to my SD card
  4. Plug in my SD card, power on, and everything works

Is this correct?

(Edit: added links)

That is correct. Often people only install an SD card image and fail to perform the QSPI flash. This might work if the prior QSPI is compatible, but across new version releases, it is likely to fail in some manner without that step.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.