New to infiniband, can't get a working connection.

I have 4x mellanox infinihost III cards, 1x mellanox connectx card that was new out of a sealed box, and a cisco topspin 120. I cannot get a single infinband link light on the switch to light up. I can go into the topspin interface and they are all enabled, but show no link light when plugged in. If I plug the cards into eachother, no link lights either. I have 8x SDR cables and I get the same result from each of them. I also had a qlogic silverstorm switch before that showed the same problem, so now i’m forced to consider one or more of the following:

1. I have had 2 bad switches in a row.

2. I have 8x bad infiniband cables

3. I have 5x bad mellanox cards

4. I’m a moron and should switch to fibre channel.

Is there anything I might be missing? I’m sick of sending back switches that might not be bad.

Both ports showing Down/Polling.

you need to check your physical wires/connections. you might using the wrong combinations of HCA/Cable/Switch.

what do you have there for cables?

try the following:

1. run opensm on your switch and take a cable - loopback between two ports, see if the link comes up (if not, then the cable is no good)

2. run opensm daemon on the server and loopback between the HCA port 1 and 2 - same as the above.

regarding the combination Win Server 2012 + HCA FW - there is a dependency there. you have to be on the latest FW for ConnectX in order for the link to come up.

for ConnectX/2 you need to be around 2.9.1000 or higher. for ConnectX3 you should be on 2.11.XXXX or 2.30.XXXX

No worries. I was wondering what happened.

I’m kind of wondering if the subnet manager in the Cisco/Topspin box is too ancient to properly recognise your cards.

Are you able to get another Linux box up and running temporarily? If so, it would be interesting to see what happens if you turn off the subnet manager in the Cisco/Topspin box, instead running your own (OpenSM) on another box connected to the switch.

No idea if that’s practical for you to try out though…

I’ll try that, the topspin has a subnet manager built in, but i’ll try that also. It’s very annoying how I can’t get any lights at all. Even plugging the cards into eachother. So I either have 8x bad cables, 5x bad adapters or 2x bad switches.

Sorry for the lateness, i’ve been busy. I’m running 1 vmware host, 2 windows hosts and a linux san host. the linux box is running software called “esos” which busybox linux with all the SCST software pre-installed. It’s frustrating because the software shows the HCA no problem. Plug it into another card, lights up, no problem. Plug it into a cisco topspin…no light. I have to check with the software vendor as since ESOS runs busybox I don’t have a mstflint or lspci on it, this is what’s taking me some time.

Yes, but it apparently doesn’t support the old connectX card. Right now i’m using the 4.2 driver to get things working. So i’m using iSCSI over IB, since I’m unable to get SRP to work with 4.2.

Hi Michael,

Are you still having problems with this?

Asking because I used to use (a few years ago) pretty much the same kit. If you’re ok with Linux (RHEL or CentOS), I can give you close to step by step instructions to get it working. Might take a bit of communication back and forth, but you’re in good hands.

(note - minor edits for clarity)

I’ll do the mstflint this afternoon. I’ll also reset the switch and try again. Do you know an easy way to set the port speed.

Not off the top of my head. I’ve not had to do it personally, but pretty sure I’ve read about it somewhere.

Yeah, not a lot of help, I know.

1. I have really heavy duty intel infiniband cx4 cables.

2. With subnet manager enabled on cisco switch, I see same activity as listed above, I took that info with openSM running and both ports plugged into the switch and the cisco subnet manager disabled.

3. I enabled the cisco subnet manager and plugged the same cable into two ports, no connection lights.

4. I take same cable and run it between both ports on the HCA and connections light up.

It does appear that i’m now stuck with a dead infiniband switch, or some subnet manager weirdness?

[root@localhost ~]# lspci -Qvvs 01:00.0

01:00.0 InfiniBand: Mellanox Technologies MT26418 [ConnectX VPI PCIe 2.0 5GT/s - IB DDR / 10GigE] (rev a0)

Subsystem: Mellanox Technologies MT26418 [ConnectX VPI PCIe 2.0 5GT/s - IB DDR / 10GigE]

Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx+

Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- SERR- <PERR- INTx-

Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes

Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 24

Region 0: Memory at feb00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]

Region 2: Memory at f9000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=8M]

Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3

Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

Capabilities: [48] Vital Product Data

Product Name: Eagle DDR

Read-only fields:

[PN] Part number: 46M2220

[EC] Engineering changes: A1

[SN] Serial number: YK5020000771

[V0] Vendor specific: PCIe Gen2 x8

[RV] Reserved: checksum good, 0 byte(s) reserved

Read/write fields:

[V1] Vendor specific: N/A

[YA] Asset tag: N/A

[RW] Read-write area: 111 byte(s) free

End

Capabilities: [9c] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=256 Masked-

Vector table: BAR=0 offset=0007c000

PBA: BAR=0 offset=0007d000

Capabilities: [60] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00

DevCap: MaxPayload 256 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <64ns, L1 unlimited

ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-

DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-

RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-

MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes

DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr- TransPend-

LnkCap: Port #8, Speed 5GT/s, Width x8, ASPM L0s, Latency L0 unlimited, L1 unlimited

ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-

LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk-

ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-

LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x8, TrErr- Train- SlotClk- DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range ABCD, TimeoutDis+, LTR-, OBFF Not Supported

DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-, LTR-, OBFF Disabled

LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 2.5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-

Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range, EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-

Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB

LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB, EqualizationComplete-, EqualizationPhase1-

EqualizationPhase2-, EqualizationPhase3-, LinkEqualizationRequest-

Capabilities: [100 v1] Alternative Routing-ID Interpretation (ARI)

ARICap: MFVC- ACS-, Next Function: 1

ARICtl: MFVC- ACS-, Function Group: 0

Kernel driver in use: mlx4_core

No worries. Which OS are you using?

Is there any chance you could do stuff on CentOS/RHEL 6.4?

Asking that because it’s what I’m super familiar with.

If you’re ok with that, please install the CentOS/RHEL provided IB software, and also pciutils:

$ sudo yum groupinstall “Infiniband Support”

$ sudo yum install mstflint pciutils

$ sudo chkconfig rdma on

$ sudo service rdma start

Then let’s do some basic info gathering so we know what we’re dealing with.

• Run lspci -Qvvs on the ConnectX card, and at least one of the Infinihost III’s, then post the results here
  • Also query the firmware of both using mstflint

Example from a ConnectX card here. First I find out it’s PCI address in the box:

$ sudo lspci |grep Mell

01:00.0 InfiniBand: Mellanox Technologies MT25418 [ConnectX VPI PCIe 2.0 2.5GT/s - IB DDR / 10GigE] (rev a0)

Then use lspci -Qvvs on that address, to retrieve all of the potentially useful info:

$ sudo lspci -Qvvs 01:00.0

01:00.0 InfiniBand: Mellanox Technologies MT25418 [ConnectX VPI PCIe 2.0 2.5GT/s - IB DDR / 10GigE] (rev a0)

Subsystem: Mellanox Technologies Device 0006

Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+

Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- SERR- <PERR- INTx-

Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes

Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16

Region 0: Memory at f7c00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]

Region 2: Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=8M]

Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3

Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

Capabilities: [48] Vital Product Data

Product Name: Eagle DDR

Read-only fields:

[PN] Part number: 375-3549-01

[EC] Engineering changes: 51

[SN] Serial number: 1388FMH-0905400010

[V0] Vendor specific: PCIe x8

[RV] Reserved: checksum good, 0 byte(s) reserved

Read/write fields:

[V1] Vendor specific: N/A

[YA] Asset tag: N/A

[RW] Read-write area: 111 byte(s) free

End

Capabilities: [9c] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=128 Masked-

Vector table: BAR=0 offset=0007c000

PBA: BAR=0 offset=0007d000

Capabilities: [60] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00

DevCap: MaxPayload 256 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <64ns, L1 unlimited

ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset+

DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-

RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop- FLReset-

MaxPayload 256 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes

DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr- TransPend-

LnkCap: Port #8, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x8, ASPM L0s, Latency L0 unlimited, L1 unlimited

ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-

LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk-

ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-

LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x8, TrErr- Train- SlotClk- DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range ABCD, TimeoutDis+, LTR-, OBFF Not Supported

DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-, LTR-, OBFF Disabled

LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 2.5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-

Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range, EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-

Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB

LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB, EqualizationComplete-, EqualizationPhase1-

EqualizationPhase2-, EqualizationPhase3-, LinkEqualizationRequest-

Capabilities: [100 v1] Alternative Routing-ID Interpretation (ARI)

ARICap: MFVC- ACS-, Next Function: 1

ARICtl: MFVC- ACS-, Function Group: 0

Kernel driver in use: mlx4_core

Kernel modules: mlx4_core

Note the blue highlighted bits. For ConnectX cards this stuff is useful. For my card, it’s showing a Sun part number, as it was originally a Sun badged card (now reflashed to stock firmware). The PCI link is in x8 state too, which is useful (if it wasn’t, it would indicate a problem).

And the mstflint output example:

$ sudo mstflint -d 01:00.0 q

Image type: ConnectX

FW Version: 2.9.1000

Device ID: 25418

Description: Node Port1 Port2 Sys image

GUIDs: 0003ba000100edb8 0003ba000100edb9 0003ba000100edba 0003ba000100edbb

MACs: 0003ba00edb9 0003ba00edba

Board ID: (MT_04A0120002)

VSD:

PSID: MT_04A0120002

That tells us the firmware version on the card. Useful to know, as it might need upgrading (very easy to do).

After you’ve pasted that info here, we can start figuring out if there’s anything wrong with the basics first and fix them. Then we can move onto the next stuff.

(note - edited for typo fixes)

As a thought… I’m pretty sure someone on this site mentioned, that they’d gotten um… the windows 7 (?) drivers to load in Win2012, and they “worked perfectly”.

Maybe give that a shot?

I’ve actually got it working now, starting to push iSCSI traffic through it, and so far theres just on major issue, which is the lack of drivers for server 2012 for the connectx cards. I know they’re older but I can’t afford the connectx-2 or 3’s just yet. If I could just get the RDMA working in 2012 i’d be in infiniband heaven.

I updated firmware, tried the cisco sunet manager and openSM, still no link

[root@localhost ~]# ibstat

CA ‘mlx4_0’

CA type: MT26418

Number of ports: 2

Firmware version: 2.6.648

Hardware version: a0

Node GUID: 0x0002c90300074bd0

System image GUID: 0x0002c90300074bd3

Port 1:

State: Down

Physical state: Polling

Rate: 10

Base lid: 0

LMC: 0

SM lid: 0

Capability mask: 0x0251086a

Port GUID: 0x0002c90300074bd1

Link layer: InfiniBand

Port 2:

State: Down

Physical state: Polling

Rate: 10

Base lid: 0

LMC: 0

SM lid: 0

Capability mask: 0x02510868

Port GUID: 0x0002c90300074bd2

Link layer: InfiniBand

I, too, am new to infiniband.

So this might sound silly, but did you run OpenSM on any of the connected hosts?

Without OpenSM (or another fabric manager; I do not know if the infiniband switches you tried have one built in) no adapters can use the connection.

OpenSM is included in the OFED package that you can download from Mellanox or from OpenFabrics Alliance OpenFabrics Alliance – Innovation in High Speed Fabrics .

Many linux distributions have an OFED package that can be installed as well.

OK…so i’ve made some more progress.

A. I can get connections with the linux hosts with all cables, with IP addresses assigned i can ping other computers over the IB fabric. Still can’t get IBping to work, I think i’m using wrong GUID or something. I also found some of my issues were due to a faulty card.

B. Subnet manager is working. Previous issues with subnet manager disappeared after a reboot, possibly related to fault card from A

C. My connectx card was upgraded to a new firmware, will try it today to at least get two machines on fabric. Main issue now seems to be the fact I bought mellanox infinihost III cards, which apparently aren’t supported anymore under server 2012. I’ve got new connect-x cards coming that I will hopefully get better luck with. So now i’m dead in the water until those arrive.

yes, still having problems. since original post, i’m now on my 3rd switch, and the second topspin 120 and i’m having the exact same issue. While I can plug in two of the infinihost IIIs together and get a link light, when I plug them into the switch, I get no link light. I also cannot plug the connectx card into either and get it to work, but i’m starting to suspect that it’s just a bad card. I just can’t believe one person can have this much trouble with this stuff.

Interesting. That shows you’ve tested the cables, and they’re ok, so it’s not that.

I wonder if the switch(es) themselves have been configured by their last owner to some non-standard settings?

Maybe some kind of weird/unusual port speed combination or similar.

Three thoughts at this point:

• Would you be ok to paste the output of mstflint query command, so we can see any PSID and/or firmware info for one of the cards?

• If you haven’t already, look for a way to reset the switch itself to “factory defaults”. May or may not exist. No idea, but worth a shot just in case it really is “strange settings have been applied”.

• Try forcing the cards to very slow port speeds. Something equivalent to 10Gb/s, and see if that works. Actually, I’d probably try manually forcing the cards to all of the port speeds, one at a time, and see if any of them link up through the switch. Again, just in case the switch isn’t negotiating properly for some reason.

Side note - I’m on holiday this week, so likely only limited help from me at this time.