No Vulkan applications run with 378.13 drivers on Ubuntu Gnome 16.10, Nvidia GeForce 840M GPU

Lenovo Z70-80 laptop, Ubuntu Gnome 16.10, Nvidia GeForce 840M GPU, PRIME set to use NVIDIA.

Upgraded driver from 375.39 to 378.13 using https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

All Vulkan applications (my own, Vulkan SDK samples, etc.) stopped working. Tracked it down to vkGetPhysicalDeviceSurfaceFormatsKHR. It returns VK_ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED, which, according to the spec, shouldn’t even be among the possible return values: Vulkan® 1.0.228 - A Specification (with KHR extensions)

All functions called before this seem to return VK_SUCCESS.

Downgraded back to 375.39 and things work once again.

Hi,

I was not able to reproduce that problem on a laptop set up with PRIME.

Looking at the failing API, it suggests a communication problem between X and the Vulkan application.

• Are you sure the 378.13 got properly installed? Can you run other non-Vulkan applications on the NVIDIA GPU, such as OpenGL applications?
  • How did you install 375.39? Through the same PPA?

Hello.

- Are you sure the 378.13 got properly installed? Can you run other non-Vulkan applications on the NVIDIA GPU, such as OpenGL applications?
Yes, I’m quite sure that 378.13 is properly installed. OpenGL applications (my own projects, Blender, random games on Steam) and CUDA (Blender Cycles renderer) applications seem to run just fine. Only Vulkan applications are affected.
[b]

• How did you install 375.39? Through the same PPA?[/b]
    Yes, I used the same PPA.
  • Is the issue specific to PRIME? E.g., does it reproduce on non PRIME systems?
  • Does it still reproduce if you install a .run package from Unix Drivers | NVIDIA ?