Not enough available memory for these GPUs

Today, I received a 1 month trial account of parabricks and was happy to test it out. My computer’s specs are
Main Memory: 256 GB
Graphic cards: NVIDIA RTX 3070 (8GB GPU memory) x2

But when I ran fq2bam,

Not enough available memory for these GPUs…

It stops with this error message.
I checked again and found that among the minimum hardware requirements
GPU memory is 12GB or more.

Isn’t this too much of a minimum requirement?
Does the Parabricks team have any plans to relax this minimum requirement?

I agree with @hermes2014, I stumbled upon the same issue, using HaplotypeCaller option.
I have the exact same problem, using the exact same card.

But as said 12Gb GPU seems hard-to-reach requirements. Is this really needed from the tools?
Seems that there could be a “buffer-size” option to store less reads in memory, or for smaller genomes (I’m working with small non-human genomes).

Thanks in advance

I ran into the exact same issue here. And the situation is confusing:
(1). When I tried using an RTX 3080 Ti with 12043 MB available memory, Parabricks refuses to run, indicating “not enough free memory for these GPUS”.
(2). However, when I replaced the RTX 3080 Ti with an RTX 3060, with the exact same amount of memory, Parabricks runs without any problem.

I would love to know what could possibly be the problem? Is it really a memory capacity issue?

Parabricks needs 12 GB of available memory to run. It may be the case that, at runtime, there weren’t 12 GB available.

That said, we don’t support running Parabricks on GeForce, not do we support running Parabricks on 1 GPU.

1 Like

Thank you for your clarification!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.