Required number of GPUs for Parabricks

I’d appreciate someone letting me know the required number of GPUs specified by the Hardware Requirements section.

Getting Started with Clara Parabricks - NVIDIA Docs

• System Requirements:
    • A 2 GPU system should have at least 100GB CPU RAM and at least 24 CPU threads.
    • A 4 GPU system should have at least 196GB CPU RAM and at least 32 CPU threads.
    • A 8 GPU system should have at least 392GB CPU RAM and at least 48 CPU threads.

Does this specification restrict the system to 2 GPU, 4 GPU, or 8 GPU? I think it could allow one GPU system because we would have one GPU configuration in AWS, for example.

I would like to define one GPU server product with Clara Parabricks, but some NVIDIA guy in Japan told me that one GPU should not be allowed.

I am looking for your quick and kind response.

Hi @kobayashi-yusuke,

It is correct that it is not recommended to run Parabricks with just 1 GPU. You are allowed to do it, but we cannot guarantee optimal performance or guarantee that it will run properly in all cases.

Thank you

Hi!

“but we cannot guarantee optimal performance or guarantee that it will run properly in all cases.”

Understandably, it will be slower with one card instead of two but will it crash, due memory limitations or for whatever reason? We have one A100 and are thinking of getting another one for wgs variant calling if we go that route. Or is it even worth trying with one A100 or is parabricks restricted so that it will not run using one A100 only?

The alternative for us would be to buy an Illumina Dragen but we’d rather use parabricks if possible. Before deciding we would like to try and see how it works, though. If it works well we have no problem buying more A100 or H100 cards to speed things up.

Best,

Pär (Sweden)

Hi @par.g.larsson,

It might crash with one, but you can feel free to test it for your specific use case and see how the performance is.