Nsight Graphics 2020.4 crash in vkCreateInstance

RV - 2020-09-02 14H26m29

in vkCreateInstance
asked with {VK_KHR_surface, VK_KHR_get_physical_device_properties2, VK_KHR_win32_surface, VK_EXT_debug_utils} and {VK_LAYER_KHRONOS_validation}

Vulkan SDK 1.2.148.0
RTX2080 452.06 driver, last Win10 (v2004)

Here is my nsight Log :

Searching for attachable processes on localhost:49152-49216…
Launch process exited. Searching for attachable child processes…
Failed to connect. The target process may have exited.

All worked like a charm in the 2020.3 version :-)

Hello,
Thanks for using Nsight Graphics and sorry you ran into this issue. We will get back to you on some suggestions for resolving your issue.

Hello,
I filed a bug for this issue and assigned to the engineering team to take up in a future release.
Thanks again.

Hi herverv –

Thanks for the bug report. I took at a look at the issue and I’m not able to reproduce so I’ll need a bit more information.

• Can you double check that your current system configuration (e.g. Vulkan SDK and driver) works with Nsight 2020.3?
  • Does the Vulkan SDK’s vkcube.exe sample run with --validate work using Nsight 2020.4 for you? That’s a minimal example that’ll create an validation layer instance similar to yours.
  • Are you seeing the Nsight Crash Reporter on your crash? If so, please submit a crash report with a comment referencing this post. We’ll be able to debug a bit in that case.

Otherwise it sounds like something else might be going wrong here and we’ll need to dig a bit further.

Thanks!

Hi kspagnoli ! Thanks for reply to me (i do not know why, i miss your answer, sorry :( !)

I update to 2020.5, same crash issue for me.
i run now on 452.28.0.0 beta driver (for acces to raytracing extension from official vulkan, not present in normal drivers)

all is still fine into 2020.3.1, i use it many times per week.
2020.4 and 2020.5 directly crash my program on lunch
but all the 3 nsight work great on vkcube.exe, nothing to say about that. (execpt 3 validation error message box)

Here is the “Process Log”
Preparing to launch…
Launched process: PortEye V5.exe (pid: 276)
Attempting to automatically connect…
Attachable process detected: PortEye V5.exe

• Uptime: 1.89s (pre-launch)
    Launch process exited. Searching for attachable child processes…
    Failed to connect. The target process may have exited.

I have never see the “crash reporter”, i google to have more informations about that !

if i lunch nsight, then dynamically link visual studio before the crash zone, i can know exactly what happen :

Thanks for the additional details. Very helpful to confirm this a regression and not a system configuration issue.

I’m digging through some details trying to find what could possibly changed and have some follow up question:

• Are you using an API-emulation implementation like OpenGl-on-Vulkan or D3D-on-Vulkan? Or is this 100% native Vulkan?
  • Are you using any other layers?

You are welcome !
I use real C++ native with real native Vulkan :-D ! Visual studio 2019, vulkan sdk, nvidia beta drivers, win10 64bits version, all of that is on last version.
Computer is stable, failure on nsight is determinist, happen 100% the same way at each try.
(Beta drivers or regular drivers do not change the nsight problem)

All code is mine, except my use of the library Vulkan Memory Allocator, not used at this point of initialisation.

Thanks for the additional details!

I’ve been looking at this for a while and I really can’t see anything that would have caused an issue with vkCreateInstance calls in your case. Almost no Nsight code has changed there since the 2020.3 release.

• Can you verify that Nsight is in the callstak of your crash? I’d expect to see Nvda.Graphics.Interception.dll. If not, something else is going wrong.

• Does disabling these options under troubleshooting change anything?

• Is there anything else your application is doing that vkcube.exe is not doing when running with validation? Since the vkcube.exe example is working on your system I’m not sure what else could be different. From your screenshots they look very similar with regards to extension, layers, etc.

• You don’t have multiple instances or devices? Shouldn’t matter but I’m trying to narrow in on the problem.

My only other guess is you have a pNext value (or perhaps another Vulkan pointer) that isn’t initialized correctly and some undefined behavior has changed ever so-slightly between Nsight versions.

Thanks again for the details and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for your answer, i start testing things

for the dll question : it’s loaded

test with the “five NOs”, it do not crash, and i am able to do the ctrl Z + space operation
so for the next try, i undo and put “five YES”

your pNext idea is great ! without my pNext section, it has worked too. I think it’s the key.

without this code, it works :

VkValidationFeatureEnableEXT enables[] =
			{
				VK_VALIDATION_FEATURE_ENABLE_BEST_PRACTICES_EXT,
			};

VkValidationFeaturesEXT features = {};
			features.sType = VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_VALIDATION_FEATURES_EXT;
			features.enabledValidationFeatureCount = 1;
			features.pEnabledValidationFeatures = enables;

InstanceCreateInfo.pNext = &features;

Ah-ha! I found an issue related to VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_VALIDATION_FEATURES_EXT and was able to reproduce by adding that behavior to vkcube.exe.

Thanks for the help and as a temporary work-around you can skip the pNext value until this is fixed in a future Nsight version.

thank you :-)

(Still not working with 2020.5.1 version)

Hello,
Yes. That is correct. The fix is planned for the next major version of Nsight Graphics which has not released, so the fix is not in 2020.5.1. I’ll let you know after the next major release comes out.