NVIDIA $199/€239 special — Jetson TX1 Developer Kit SE, now available in Europe!

Hello, I posted this question on a different but really aged thread. This one seems more recent. I need help. I just got delivery of the Jetson TX1 dev kit with the special developper discount at 239€ in France. Great! Unfortunately the camera module is missing despite the indications that it was supposed to be included. Moreover, I can’t even see it as available anywhere as an additional order item. I need the camera asap.
Thank you

Hi ali.erdengiz, sorry, the Jetson TX1 SE kit doesn’t come with the camera module, see the specs here: https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/buy/jetson-tx1-devkit-se
I’m not sure if it would work or not if plugged in, let me check.
Alternatively you may want to try plugging in a USB webcam, it should yield similar results.

Hi Dusty, you are right, if I check the link you provided, indeed, there seems to be no camera module on the contents list.
However, here’s another link, unboxing the Jetson TX1 dev kit:

In there, Phil from NVIDIA unpacks the dev kit and shows off the camera module, removes even the tape from the camera lens. Granted, the video is from Nov 2015. So, maybe since then NVIDIA decided not to ship the camera.

Also, on the box, there is a white on green drawing of the board and one can clearly see that the camera module is there. I took a snapshot of it, but I see there is no way to attach a picture to this post.

Bottom line, even if NVIDIA edited the fine print and does no longer provide the module, then where can I get it?

Finally, I don’t understand your statement: “I’m not sure if it would work or not if plugged in, let me check.” Are you saying that NVIDIA has been shipping (in the past) a camera module that didn’t work?

Thanks

Ali

This video is for the Jetson TX1 Developer Kit, not the Jetson TX1 Developer Kit SE. In order to get the price lower for the SE version, which started shipping around August 2017, we removed the camera module, some of the extra cabling, ect. The ordinary Jetson TX1 Developer Kit still ships with the onboard MIPI camera module today (albeit at a higher cost than the SE kit).

If you want to upload an image for your post, there should be a little icon near the top right side of the text box where you type your post, this will allow you to upload your image and embed it in your post.

The camera module wasn’t included in the SE kit since the beginning (August 2017). We are looking into if one of our engineers from France can send you an extra camera module. Worst case, I can send you an extra one the week after NVIDIA GTC. I’d do it now except I am busy with preparations for GTC next week. Can you private message me your shipping address awhile?

Alternatively, in the meantime, have you considered plugging in a relatively inexpensive USB webcam? It should yield similar results unless you are specifically trying to work with MIPI CSI. Attaching USB webcam is the route most users of TX1 SE kit would choose if they were to need a live camera.

I meant that I wasn’t 100% sure that if you took a spare camera module off the TX1 kit, and mounted it on the TX1 SE kit, if it would work right away without any sw/fw configuration changes, as I haven’t tried that procedure myself. However I think it is likely to work, as the devkit motherboard is essentially the same between the two kits, just the SE without the removable camera module.

OK, clearly, I missed the nuance between the “SE” vs. regular TX1 dev kit. The little icon (paper clip) doesn’t appear when I’m typing this reply, but I can see that once the reply is posted it does appear on the top right side. I don’t know if that’s a browser problem (I have the problem both with Chrome and Safari) or it is intentional to have the icon appear after the posting.

(Now it says it’s scanning…) but it takes forever to post a 64K jpeg, go figure…

Yes, I can use a USB camera with a USB-micro-USB adapter since the USB 3.0 port is already taken by my keyboard/mouse dongle. Having said that, I’d rather have the regular MIPI CSI cam. I appreciate your offer to send me one, even if it is later. I’ll private-message you my delivery address.

Thank you,

Ali

When would that discount can be offered in Turkey ?

Hi Ayshine, I don’t believe the SE kit will be made available in Turkey, you can try checking with our distributor there Open ZEKA. They may do the EDU discount. Otherwise you maybe could order the SE kit through another EU country and make arrangements to have the shipment forwarded to Turkey.

Is the TX1 SE still available, i just tried to buy it and it said: “The Online Shop cannot ship to that address”. I’m in Germany btw.

Hi sleif, yes it is still available and we confirmed is currently in stock in Germany. Did you try ordering through this link for Germany?

http://www.nvidia.de/object/JetsonTX1DeveloperKitSE-de.html

Thank you for the quick answer, i tried the link you provided and it worked! It already arrived yesterday :)

OK, great! Thanks for following up and letting us know. Enjoy your new kit!