Please understand my poor English before entering.
My current development environment
ubuntu 22.04
[GeForce RTX 3070 Lite Hash Rate] (rev a1)
I got into trouble installing the Nvidia driver.
I have executed an automatic installation.
qwer@qwer:~$ sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
The results are as follows.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
linux-modules-nvidia-550-6.8.0-55-generic : Depends: linux-image-6.8.0-55-generic but it is not installable or
linux-image-unsigned-6.8.0-55-generic but it is not installable
Depends: linux-signatures-nvidia-6.8.0-55-generic (= 6.8.0-55.57~22.04.1+1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
There was an error, so the manual installation was carried out.
I had the same error this week after allowing a small update to Ubuntu 22.04.
I purged the nvidia drivers and tried to re-install via Software and Updates, Additional Drivers, but no nVidia drivers would install.
I’ve left it running the X.Org.X server driver which seems to run fine. 1440x900 resolution fitted my old HP w2007v screen OK. I use a GForce GTX 750 Ti graphics card.
I got fed up with having to re-install nVidia drivers with every little update anyway.
Why doesn’t Ubuntu work with this well-established kit? It worked on 22.04 before the little update.
It appears this is not a driver problem per se. I have one Xubuntu 24.04 laptop that did upgrade to kernel 6.8.0-55-generic. All my other machines are still on Xubuntu 22.04 and the latest upgrade did NOT advance the kernel version from 6.8.0-52-generic to 6.8.0-55-generic. Hence the version mismatch. Run
uname -r
to check your kernel version and you’ll see. Our grievance is with the kernel package maintainers. Even running
How i do Revert to a Previous NVIDIA Driver Version After a Kernel Update
after update i face some issues like you and i solve it . if you have this config on your own system it may help . make sure nvidia-smi not working
if already installed i think it is better to delete nvidia driver
Step 1: Check Your Current Kernel Version
uname -r
In my case, the output showed:
6.8.0-52-generic
Step 2: Verify the NVIDIA Version Installed
You can check which NVIDIA version was previously installed by reviewing your package logs. Here’s the version that I had installed before upgrading:
grep "nvidia" /var/log/apt/history.log
NVIDIA Driver Version: nvidia-driver-535
Kernel Version: 6.8.0-49-generic
These were the versions before the kernel upgrade that caused the driver issue.
Step 3: Reinstall the NVIDIA Driver
To revert back to the NVIDIA driver version that worked for me, I used the following command:
sudo apt install nvidia-driver-535
and then REBOOT
After running this, the system reverted to the previous NVIDIA driver version, and the issue was resolved.