Nvidia driver v515.57 crashes on scene change, black screen with sound continuing (RTX 3080 Ti)

I have encountered this problem while playing Monster Hunter Rise.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start Monster Hunter Rise and begin gameplay
  2. In any area, prompt any cutscene to play. The most convenient way to do this is to go to the food vendor, select “motley medley,” and then cook one item (this prompts a cutscene every time).
  3. Repeat as needed because the issue does not appear consistently.
  4. Observe the game window going black at the END of the cutscene, and sounds continue playing. Game controls are unresponsive - pressing buttons that would prompt sound effects to play are not audible.
  5. Force-quit the game. Upon killing the game, all windows rendered by Xorg become unresponsive for several seconds (the mouse pointer continues to respond to mouse movement).

In the kernel logs, this error seems to be consistent across all instances of this issue:
NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:09:00): 31, pid=7052, name=MonsterHunterRi, Ch 00000031, intr 00000000. MMU Fault: ENGINE HOST2 HUBCLIENT_ESC faulted @ 0x0_92f2f000. Fault is of type FAULT_PTE ACCESS_TYPE_VIRT_WRITE

Anecdotally, this issue only seemed to occur after updating to the 515.xx driver version.

I’ve been unable to consistently find other examples of this same issue, but when I do they seem to also be running RTX 30xx series cards.

Output of nvidia-bug-report.sh:
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (143.7 KB)

I assume the bug report script includes kernel and other system information. I can provide any other information and troubleshoot on request.

I’ve updated to the 515.65 driver and this problem persists.