NVIDIA Prime not achieving maximum performance

When I use nvidia-prime (__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __VK_LAYER_NV_optimus=NVIDIA_only __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia), it only gives me about 6k FPS compared to using solely NVIDIA to render everything (20k FPS), I’ve read somewhere that high FPS counts do not matter, and that I should try running a benchmark, so I did (Minecraft). I got 60 FPS, but it sometimes drops down to 40 FPS and there’s severe screen tearing. I checked nvtop and it says that the GPU is running at 50% usage, at 500 MHz (supposed to be 1097). I ran glxgears and it was still 50% usage, but the clock speed is at 1097, which is correct. No matter what I try, it’s always around 50% usage, sometimes reaching up to 75%. There’s basically nothing I can do in nvidia-settings because I am using the iGPU and PowerMizer isn’t there.

nvidia-smi shows that its at P0, and no throttles are active.
i use arch btw, GTX 860M 2GB, i7-4710HQ, 2x8GB DDR3.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (342.3 KB)

Seems like I had optimus-manager installed, and I had to switch to “hybrid” mode, NOT “integrated”/“intel” mode. Now it seems like the only bottleneck is my RAM (DDR3), I used dd + tmpfs and I got about 3.5 GB/s bandwidth, and that seems to be exactly what my card is outputting (200 MB/s RX, 3.15 GB/s TX), since PRIME render offload copies the frames from the GPU’s GDDR5 memory to the iGPU’s (system’s) DDR3 memory.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.