nvidia-smi and nvidia-settings Extremly Slow when computing on certain kernel/driver

Hello guys,

I have problem which bothers me long time.
I have two PCs with 6 GPUs connected and they are mining(computing). GTX 1070 and GTX1060

On kernel 4.13.10 + nvidia 387.22
nvidia-smi and nvidia-settings are working ok (checking current fanspeed, temp and setting different temperature for all gpus takes less than 10 seconds)

On kernel 4.17.19 (or 4.17.1 or 4.16.x ) + nvidia 396.54 or little older.
nvidia-smi and nvidia-settings are extremly slow (checking current fanspeed, temp and setting different temperature for all gpus takes like 60-600 seconds)

This is nothing to do with GPUs or motherboard.
When i swapped both HDD’s in those PC’s then always 4.17.19 + nvidia 396.54 was the slowest no matter which PC it was on or what GPU’s were plugged in.

Also when the computing process is stopped, the nvidia-smi and nvidia-settings are working blazing fast.
Any idea what can we do ?

Also we already have persistenced mode turned ON -pm 1 and also turned on by nvidia-persistence daemon.
This changes nothing.

[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1028999/painfully-long-driver-initialization-with-many-gpus-affects-all-drivers-nvidia-please-do-someth-/?offset=17#5279322[/url]