Nvidia-smi 'No devices were found' with Intel NUC on Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS + Razer Core X + Nvidia Titan RTX eGPU

Hello,

I am trying to use an eGPU with Ubuntu on Intel NUC device. My configuration is Intel NUC 11PAHi7 + Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS + Razer Core X + Nvidia Titan RTX eGPU. I do not seem to be able to get the eGPU running with Ubuntu (or even on Windows). When I try to boot with the eGPU connected to the NUC, the device hangs during boot up. Instead, if I boot up the device to Ubuntu and then connect the eGPU, I see that the nvidia driver module is loaded, but nvidia-smi still says ‘No devices were found’.

I am attaching the output from ‘sudo nvidia-bug-report.sh --safe-mode --extra-system-data’ (this command also hangs the device without --safe-mode). I appreciate any help/suggestions on how to fix this issue!

Thank you,
Krishna.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (89.7 KB)

Edit:
If I plugin the display directly to the eGPU, the display is garbled and hangs during boot up.

Something is broken, the thunderbolt connection to the razer box seems fine, but the gpu fails to init: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x23:0xffff:1382)
Please check:

• gpu incorrectly seated: reseat gpu in its pcie slot
  • gpu incorrectly powered: check/reseat all power connectors
  • gpu broken: check if it works in another system (without the box)

If this yields nothing, the razer box is probably broken.