LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google applications installed. Linked in the instructions is a package that has come from another Android project that restores the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific prebuilts for which source is not available.
Since these are not official builds, the Lineage wiki does not have instructions for installation, nor do they host the builds. Another Lineage dev has hosted a copy of the instructions, which are linked below. The unofficial builds are available here.
- These builds have known issues which will be described in detail below. But they may still be of use or interest to people, so I am posting unofficial builds. But while they are unofficial builds, they are fully built from the official Lineage source org, and meet all the charter requirements, the same as an official build.
- These builds use the A/B update system, allowing for updates to run in the background while doing other things.
- The boot stack is mostly from the L4T r32.5.1 release, except for cboot, which is source built with android support enabled and many fixes and modifications for android.
- Intermittent hangs during first boot and the setup wizard. Many times during first boot or the setup wizard, the system will soft hang. Things like uart console and adb are still accessible, but normal input stops working. There is nothing in the logs to indicate why and I have been unable to track down the cause. If the system stops responding or the boot logo runs for more than five minutes, the power will have to be cycled. Once the setup wizard is complete, I have observed no further stability issues.
- Nvmm corruption. Hardware accelerated video looks checkerboxed, like blocks have an off by one error. It is assumed this is an issue with the handling of t194s dual nvdec nodes in the android nvmm prebuilts, since this issue does not occur on t186. This is worked around on these unofficial builds by disabling nvmm / hardware accelerated omx.