Quadro P1000 freezes Ubuntu

Many related topics, I know but I tried a lot but still can’t find why it goes wrong

Installed ubuntu 18.04 without secure boot,
on discrete mode

Tried to install it via ubuntu-drivers, apt install nvidia-driver-[current] (via repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa) and even via the .run file on both the hp website and nvidia website (both fail at the first check).

But nothing seems to work.

Well it now works for like a minute, then the fan starts spinning and the whole screen freezes (also the mouse).

I’ll attach the log
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.13 MB)

You’re running into

NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 79, pid=1191, GPU has fallen off the bus.

Since this is a notebook, this is likely a hardware failure. Please check if a bios upgrade is available, if that doesn’t help, please install Windows to confirm a hardware failure and RMA, if possible.

I run dual boot and on Windows it’s all running fine and smooth on nvidia drivers. On Ubuntu it also runs without freezing using the pre installed nouveau drivers.

I just did a BIOS update but no improvement on Ubuntu. It a brand new laptop so it could be a DOA indeed. How can I check the failure on windows?

You could run some Unigine demo benchmark for a while.

Thanks Generix! I ran the Unigine superposition benchmark test for over 2 hours now, but nothing seems wrong.

I added another log (created this report after the crash via ssh). I also called HP but they don’t give any support for operating systems other than Windows.

Any tips how to continue? :(
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.01 MB)