Query power consumption directly instead of using tegrastats

On TX2, users can directly query the instant power consumption of each hardware component. Can we do the same on Jetson Orin?

More specifically, can we query VDD_GPU_SOC, VDD_CPU_CV, VIN_SYS_5V0, and VDDQ_VDD2_1V8AO power consumption measurement directly on Jetson Orin? If so, where are those files located?

I guess a different way to frame this question is where does tegrastats obtain its reading from?

Similar way as TX2 to get the info by reading power monitor values.

Yes, but the file locations of those seem to be different from the locations on TX2. Where can I find information about where do they locate?

Hi,

I think another way here is maybe you can check jtop source as tegrastats source is not public.

Thanks for your response. I guess what I was trying to say is that if I want to monitor GPU power usage on TX2, I can simply go to “/sys/devices/3160000.i2c/i2c-0/0-0040/iio:device0/in_power0_input” and obtain the instant readings.

I understand that tegrastats may not be open sourced, but I assumed it obtains its readings of power usage on these four components (VDD_GPU_SOC, VDD_CPU_CV, VIN_SYS_5V0, and VDDQ_VDD2_1V8AO) from somewhere. And what would be the corresponding file paths to obtain the instant power consumption readings on Jetson Orin? The previous response said that it’s similar to TX2 but I wasn’t quite able to find it.

Thank you in advance!

Yes, what I want to say is you could check jtop source code first as it supports Orin now.

Hi @terunofuji and thank you @WayneWWW

Right now (current 4.1.0 version) jtop parse a tegrastats message. Keep ready from version 4.2.0 will be tegrastatsless optimized.

The new JP5 documentation is pretty cool and is all documented
Exactly here about thermal sensors: Software-Based Power Consumption Modeling

or you can find here the rest of the variables: Jetson Orin NX Series and Jetson AGX Orin Series (Here you can find all variables are come from)

Otherwise you can use the jtop python libraries

2 Likes

Thank you! The information about Software-Based Power Consumption Modeling was exactly what I was looking for!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.