RootOS from SSD 2.5" SATA3

Hi,
I checked on the forum and internet how to install the system on an SSD and launch it from there,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK5FYhoJqIg
but all the guides are for NVMe SSDs, in my case I mounted a 2.5" SATA3 SSD because it is an industrial device and mounts this type of SSD. Can I replicate the installation method?
I have this need because the 16 Gb of the eMMC is not enough for me.
It also allows me to clone SSDs and have the same software on multiple devices.
Thanks in advance.

Salvatore

That m.2 slot on the devkit supports PCIe but not SATA.

I don’t know how it is mounted they only gave me the specification that it is a SSSTC SSD 128GB 2.5" SATA3 3D TLC 7mm.
Is there any way I can verify this? or in any case can I treat it as an NVMe?

Hi,

I don’t know who is “they” in your comment. Please check if your ssd is based on SATA or PCIe.

The video you posted also tells you this slot only supports PCIe. And NVMe is a “protocol” which uses PCIe but not SATA.
Thus, if your SSD only supports SATA. You cannot use it on the M.2 slot of NX directly.

I did a search on SSSTC SSD 128GB 2.5" SATA3 3D TLC 7mm and they all came back as standard 2.5" SSD form factor so you will need some type of adapter, either a USB<>SATA adapter kit, or a M.2<>SATA adapter like the one pictured below.

These are available in different configurations and number of SATA ports.

Thanks for answer.
The product I’m talking about is

From the information they gave me about the SSD( SSSTC SSD 128GB 2.5" SATA3 3D TLC 7mm) I’m guessing it’s a SATA3 2.5", they won’t have used the M.2 connector like in the video I’m guessing.

Yes I guess we used an adapter to connect this type of SSD, the product is already assembled so everything is already done.
I’m wondering only with this type of SSD mounted in this way can I install and launch the system from the SSD or you have to necessarily use an M.2 with NVMe as in the video.
I’m talking about the software video part not the hardware instalation.

You can certainly use the SSD to host the root filesystem. As far as Linux and Ubuntu are concerned they’re just different drives. Where the video operates on /dev/nvme0n1, you’d use /dev/sda instead.

perfect so I can follow the video and pay attention only on the device where to mount the root then everything remains the same right?

It should work, yeah.

I found this guide , it uses a nvidia jetson nano while I a nvidia Jetson Xavier NX I think it’s ok too.

One last thing, this is a production device, not a development one, so I don’t have SDCard but eMMC is ok?
Thank you all.

Update:
From the guide it is reported that for nvidia jetson xavier NX there is a problem so it is not possible. i will follow these guidelines
https://elinux.org/Jetson/L4T/Boot_From_External_Device

No problem at all.

If you get stuck, let me know.
There’s some info here that may help…

Thanks for the help, between today and tomorrow I start to try, I don’t know if in the device for production there is QSPI-NOR flash, on the documentationwhen it talks about the module for production it mentions to flash only emmc, while if it is the develop module you flash the QSPI-NOR and the SDCard.

There is. Depending on how you initially flashed the module, it may or may not be used. When you first flashed the module, which board did you specify in the flash.sh command line? jetson-xavier-nx-devkit, jetson-xavier-nx-devkit-emmc, jetson-xavier-nx-devkit-qspi, etc?

is an industrial product already assembled, already mounts a version of Jetpack, but I could do the flash from scratch and make it so that uses QSPI-NOR flash?

Well, you could but I don’t know enough about your environment to know whether you should. I’d leave it alone for now and just move the root filesystem.

To do this
I follow this guide, right?
https://elinux.org/Jetson/L4T/Boot_From_External_Device

I succeeded by following the guide I listed as a solution,
I note that I used the nvidia jetson xavier NX production version with EMMC 16 Gb and not DevKit .
External device SATA III.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.