Screwed up by Sony Sony's GPU drivers too old... any work arounds?

Hi all,
I have a Sony Vaio Z laptop , windows 7, 64 bit, with GeForce GT 330m graphics card. The GPU driver version is 188.80, which is lower than what is required for even CUDA2.3. Sony has not released any later versions so I am stuck with this stupid version. I would like to use the GPU for computing, does anyone has any suggestions for me as to how I can achieve this? I can’t install the latest GPU driver from nvidia site because they are not compatible with the GPU in my machine as Sony has modified it a little.

If someone can suggest a work around that will be just great.

Thanks a lot, this will be great help.
Gaurav

Hi all,
I have a Sony Vaio Z laptop , windows 7, 64 bit, with GeForce GT 330m graphics card. The GPU driver version is 188.80, which is lower than what is required for even CUDA2.3. Sony has not released any later versions so I am stuck with this stupid version. I would like to use the GPU for computing, does anyone has any suggestions for me as to how I can achieve this? I can’t install the latest GPU driver from nvidia site because they are not compatible with the GPU in my machine as Sony has modified it a little.

If someone can suggest a work around that will be just great.

Thanks a lot, this will be great help.
Gaurav

laptopvideo2go. All you need is some of their INF files and you should be able to get the latest NV drivers running.
It’s the site to bookmark for handling exactly this issue of manufacturers who don’t update support files fast enough!

laptopvideo2go. All you need is some of their INF files and you should be able to get the latest NV drivers running.
It’s the site to bookmark for handling exactly this issue of manufacturers who don’t update support files fast enough!

Hi SPWorley,

Thanks a lot for the response. Could you please elaborate on what you suggested? I have no clue what INF files I need and how to go about this.
This will be great help.
Thanks in advance,
Gaurav

Hi SPWorley,

Thanks a lot for the response. Could you please elaborate on what you suggested? I have no clue what INF files I need and how to go about this.
This will be great help.
Thanks in advance,
Gaurav

Hi Gaurav, I have the same laptop (VPCZ1290X) with the 330M. I’m running driver version 259.47.

I don’t remember exactly, but I think I used the WHQL drivers from laptopvideo2go; if you download the installer, you might be able to extract it to a folder using 7-zip (or similar program) and ‘manually’ update the driver using the Device Manager (in the Control Panel).

Hi Gaurav, I have the same laptop (VPCZ1290X) with the 330M. I’m running driver version 259.47.

I don’t remember exactly, but I think I used the WHQL drivers from laptopvideo2go; if you download the installer, you might be able to extract it to a folder using 7-zip (or similar program) and ‘manually’ update the driver using the Device Manager (in the Control Panel).