Sharing NvBuffer contents via NvBufferMemMapEx()

Hello,

I would like to share the contents of a NvBuffer in process A with another process B. If I understand the documentation correctly, the NvBufferMemMapEx() function combined with the various NvBufferMemSync* functions is the way to go. I am, however, not quite sure how to do this right and can’t seem to make this work, because I do not know which function to call when and with what arguments.

What I basically want is to have a shared view on the buffer between the processes, so that when I update the buffer in process A, process B can work with the updated buffer, without copying the content.

Currently, my code looks something like this:

Process A:

// Some function to generate the buffer
int bufferFDProcessA = getBuffer(); 

// Send the NvBufferParams und NvBufferParamsEx struct objects of this buffer to process B
sendBufferParamsToProcessB(bufferFDProcessA)  

// Wait for process B to to call NvBufferMemMapEx()

// Update buffer contents
void* bufferPtr = nullptr;
NvBufferMemMap(bufferFDProcessA , 0, NvBufferMem_Write, &bufferPtr);
((char*)bufferPtr)[0] = 1;
NvBufferMemSyncForDevice(bufferFD, 0, &bufferPtr)

Process B:

// Receive buffer params from process A
NvBufferParams paramsA  = receiveParamsFromProcessA();
NvBufferParamsEx paramsExA  = receiveParamsExFromProcessA();

// Unclear: what buffer fd to use...Create new buffer or use fd from process A?
int bufferFD = ...
void* bufferPtr = nullptr;
NvBufferMemMapEx(bufferFD, &(paramsExA), 0, NvBufferMem_Read, &bufferPtr)

// Notify process A that memory mapping is done and wait a bit

// Synchronize and get new data
NvBufferMemSyncForCpuEx(bufferFD, &(bufferParamsEx.paramsEx), 0, &bufferPtr)
char value = ((char*) bufferPtr)[0]; // Should be 1

Currently this is not working and I am honestly not quite sure what to do here, since the change of the buffer in process A is not reflected in the buffer of process B. I am also not quite sure, which buffer descriptor to use when calling NvBufferMemMapEx(). Do I use the FD from process A, which can be accesses via NvBufferParams.dmabuf_fd? Or do I have create a new buffer in process B and use the FD of that?

The API documentation is not really clear at this point and I can’t find a single example code snippet anywhere, where these functions have been used before. Can anyone help me with this?

Hi,
There are discussion in the topic:
How to share the buffer in process context?

Please take a look.

Hi,
thank you for your reply! I saw that discussion, but I’m not quite sure that NvBufferTransformEx is what I want. If I understand that function correctly, it copys the data from one buffer to another, while applying some transformations in the process. I would like, however, to avoid any copies, if possible.

Or did I maybe misunderstand what the function does?

Hi,

I just wanted to ask, if there is maybe someone who could help with this issue. It’s still an open question for me, whether NvBufferMemMapEx does, what I think it is supposed to be doing.

By now I know that NvBufferTransformEx is definitely too slow for our purposes.

Hi,
There is a buffer copy but it is done on hardware engine, so the performance shall be good and don’t take CPU usage.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.