Simplegl problem running probally a simple common problem

I am a newbie to CUDA, much like most of us :)
and love it so far

When I go to run simpleGL on my g80 not under emulation
it totally hangs my computer forcing a reboot.

I can get it to compile and also can get cutil to compile and build with no errors
It runs fine in emulation mode
all other examples run correctly both in emulation and in regular release and debug
only simplegl is hanging me up

Is there something simple I am not doing
I have glut3.7.6 in my system32 directory in my path
and glew 1.3.5 there as well?

When compiling simpleGL I get the following warnings.

“C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\PlatformSDK\include\basetsd.h”, line 345: warning:
1> conversion from integer to smaller pointer
1> return((void * ) (unsigned __int64) (ULONG_PTR)p );
1> ^
1>tmp_00000da8-9.i
1>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\PlatformSDK\include\winnt.h(755) : warning C4164: ‘_rotl’ : intrinsic function not declared
1>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\PlatformSDK\include\winnt.h(756) : warning C4164: ‘_rotl64’ : intrinsic function not declared
1>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\PlatformSDK\include\winnt.h(757) : warning C4164: ‘_rotr’ : intrinsic function not declared
1>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\PlatformSDK\include\winnt.h(758) : warning C4164: ‘_rotr64’ : intrinsic function not declared
1>Note: including lib: glut32.lib
1>Linking…

Can you provide more info about your system? Windows XP? What NVIDIA display driver version? How many GPUs installed?

Mark

windows xp, Display Driver version 97.73
glut-3.7.6, GLEW 1.3.5

What CPU are you running on? How many cores?

Mark

dual core xeons 3.6 ghz, 2gb ram

I actually copied the GLUT from the CG toolkit into my active path
instead of 3.7.6 from another source and it stops crashing it,
just does not run now, only comes up blank.

I know this is an old post, but I’m wondering if you ever fixed this problem. We just recently installed our 8800 card on a different machine in our lab, and I’m experiencing this exact problem. When I try to run simpleGL in Debug mode, it crashes with an unspecified driver error on this line in createVBO

CUDA_SAFE_CALL(cudaGLRegisterBufferObject(*vbo));

When I try to run it in Release mode, it starts up, and displays the window with a single red dot in the middle.

I’m running this on a Dell Precision 690, with 2 64bit Quad Core Xeon Processors (3.2 GHz) and 4Gb of RAM. Mine also works in Emu mode. Any help would be appreciated.

-skiz

I know this is an old post, but I’m wondering if you ever fixed this problem. We just recently installed our 8800 card on a different machine in our lab, and I’m experiencing this exact problem. When I try to run simpleGL in Debug mode, it crashes with an unspecified driver error on this line in createVBO

CUDA_SAFE_CALL(cudaGLRegisterBufferObject(*vbo));

When I try to run it in Release mode, it starts up, and displays the window with a single red dot in the middle.

I’m running this on a Dell Precision 690, with 2 64bit Quad Core Xeon Processors (3.2 GHz) and 4Gb of RAM. Mine also works in Emu mode. Any help would be appreciated.

-skiz

This problem has been resolved in another thread.