ttyTHS1 been damaged. Alternate UART port available on Jetson nano?

While testing my UART port, I accidentally connected pin 8 to GND instead of connecting pin 8 to pin 10 for echo. I have 2 question:

1. Will the above scenario damage the UART port connected to pin 8 and pin 10?
  2. If it has been damaged, is there an alternate UART port I could use for communication with a STM32F411RE microcontroller?

Hi hpadharia,

Are you using the devkit or custom board for Jetson Nano?
What’s your Jetpack version in use?

I think it should be fine.
Could you perform loopback test for UART1 through short PIN8 and PIN10 now?

There’re 3 UART interfaces on Jetson Nano:
UART0: on M.2 Key E
UART1: on 40-pins expansion header (which you are using)
UART2: on automation header, which is used for debug UART

I am currently using the devkit for jetson nano.
I am new to this and so not sure if the following is the thing you were looking for but I am currently using R32 (release), Revision: 7.4.

I am currently running the following code with pin 8 and 10 connected.

import serial
import time
ser = serial.Serial(
port=‘/dev/ttyTHS1’,
baudrate=115200,
parity=serial.PARITY_NONE,
stopbits=serial.STOPBITS_ONE,
bytesize=serial.EIGHTBITS,
timeout = 1 # Set the timeout to 1 second on the receive line
)

while True:
# Sending data
ser.write(b’Hello STM32!\r\n’)
time.sleep(1)

# Receiving data
if ser.inWaiting() > 0:
    data = ser.read()
    print(f"Received: {data}")

There is nothing showing up in the terminal window and so I am assuming that the port might not be working.

Apparently, my microcontroller does not have any wireless transmission and therefore, I wont be able to use UART0 i guess (correct me if I am wrong).
I would like to transmit data at 10Hz between my microcontroller and jetson nano. Is it okay to use UART2 for this? If yes, what should I use as the ttyTHS* value?

Could you just run the following command to check if you can receive the data you send?

$ sudo su
# stty -F /dev/ttyTHS1 115200 raw -echo
# cat /dev/ttyTHS1 &
# echo "test" > /dev/ttyTHS1

You can also get a scope to capture if there’s any signal.

You can rework the board and connect the UART0_TXD/UART0_RXD from M.2 Key E to use this UART interface.

We don’t suggest to use UART2, which is used for serial console port to debug.
You have to disable the serial console log from different firmware and we don’t verify this use case.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.