Ubuntu Core on Tegra

These days news came to me about the minimalistic Ubuntu release called Ubuntu Core [url]https://www.ubuntu.com/core[/url]

There is a nice short explanation about it on BD website: [url]https://boundarydevices.com/ubuntu-core-16-mx-platforms/[/url]

So, are there any plans to port Ubuntu Core for Tegra boards? Or at least rumors about it ;)

Unfortunately, Ubuntu Core is not currently available for the Jetson platform. There are quite a few packaging steps that Canonical, NVIDIA, or the developer community would have to make to convert the current Ubuntu-compatible filesystem+BSP into a Core-compatible system. (Though theoretically, this conversion should be possible.)

As it is costly to support a new/independent codebase, would you kindly describe how you would put to use Snaps and Ubuntu Core, for goals you are unable to achieve with the current Ubuntu filesystem? Canonical may be interested to hear, just as we are.

Well, initially I was looking for a minimal rootfs for TX1 that should boot fast and will have minimal consumption/CPU load when idle. And Ubuntu release distributed by Nvidia is not such a release.

As my company is developing a UAV machine, for example I would not expect us to need GUI, audio and many more services Nvidia’s Ubuntu has. Stripping of the release is an option, but my attempts showed, that still there are a lot of unknown to me software that is taking resources.

Then I came across Ubuntu Core and was intrigued by it being a minimal release targeted exclusively for embedded systems (yes, there is a drone in the picture as well). And to be honest, I expected Tegra platform to be in the list of supported ones, as there are other boards there, less popular I think.

My unfruitful attempts to port Debian for TX1 (problems with closed source packages) let me to think that one should not be successful if trying to port Ubuntu Core on his own without any support by Nvidia. Tweaking should be ok, but not complete porting, along with proprietary tools and libraries.

And that is why I put this thread to ask you on plans about such an initiative :)

100% agree with this request! We are also developing embedded systems around the TX-1/TX-2 platform. At a high level we need:

1. a minimal footprint image on disk to make OTA (over the air) system updates quick and reliable. a minimal footprint in RAM to maximize the RAM available for image processing. We are currently RAM constrained when handling input from multiple 4K camera sources.

We don’t really care about Snaps and are fine with a minimal Ubuntu OS and package based installation. It is just painful to recreate and verify the rootfs with every NVidia release.

The Ubuntu Desktop based rootfs with all the office tools is a pretty large package. Having a rootfs based on a minimally configured Ubuntu Server available as an option would be a great first step and Ubuntu Core even better.

I also agree and am surprised that Nvidia doesn’t supply a minimal rootfs. You can create your own custom rootfs but the tools provided do not make this an easy task.

I can only second this request. A minimal rootfs or Ubuntu Core will be perfect for our needs.

We got the same type of requirements as mentioned above. Reliable OTA system updates, and highly secure to protect privacy. Our TX1 devices will be deployed in public spaces with a camera so security is of the essence for us.

I know it’s been a while since this thread was opened, has anyone looked more into this or made an attempt them self to port Ubuntu Core?

IDK if this would help anyone, but I am in the same boat, with much similar requirements.

We are a small company and building our own rootfs is a big task for us as we have other problems to attend. The only option I have seen so far is https://resin.io/. They support the devboard BSP, but we are using different carriers and not for sure how to support the BSP in resin.

Hi,

One year later, I would also really be interested in such a minimal rootfs.
Ubuntu server or Ubuntu core.

Did anybody shared his stripped rootfs somewhere?
This would be helpful for a lot :-)