Ubuntu Kernel v5.6, v5.7 for HP-OMEN 17t bc000 GForce RTX2080 unstable driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-440.82.run

I have a laptop HP-OMEN 17t bc000 GForce RTX2080 with monitors Idek Iiyama PL3270Q and Idek Iiyama PL3288UH
I observe a very unstable driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-440.82.run for Ubuntu Kernel v5.6.4
Constantly reset current settings with access to the login window
At the same time, the screen blink
Some windows immediately lose controls
setting|660x500
For version 5.7.0-rc1, along with the patch for the driver, it works even more unstable

During the installation, I wrote an error when choosing the dkms option and did not install, if I did not select it, I received another message:

The CC version check failed:

The kernel was built with gcc version 9.3.0 (Ubuntu 9.3.0-10ubuntu1), but the current compiler version is cc (Ubuntu 9.2.1-9ubuntu2)
9.2.1 20191008.

This may lead to subtle problems; if you are not certain whether the mismatched compiler will be compatible with your kernel, you
may wish to abort installation, set the CC environment variable to the name of the compiler used to compile your kernel, and restart
installation.

, but the driver was installed to the end

In window 10 everything works stably!
nvidia-bug-report.log (539 Bytes)

The log didn’t contain anything. Please re-run the script with --safe-mode option.

updated kernel to daily release 5.7.0.999
put the driver with the patch from here NVIDIA 440.82 - Kernel 5.7 Patch ($1965550) · Snippets · Snippets · GitLab

Made monitor settings

However, some windows still lose the display of controls.

After 5 minutes, all monitors went out and restored in the wrong sequence

When trying to restore order, the system logged out by closing all applications on such a screen

At the same time, the sudo nvidia-bug-report.sh --safe-mode log is still empty nvidia-bug-report.log (547 Bytes)

The same problems on kernel 5.6.4 without a patch

dmesg.log log after the next restart of the desktop dmesg.log (78.7 KB)

Please run after the issue hits
sudo dmesg >dmesg.txt
sudo journalctl -b0 --no-pager |grep gdm-x-session >gdm.txt
and attach both files.

If you can’t switch to vt and have to reboot, please run
sudo journalctl -b-1 --no-pager |grep gdm-x-session >gdm.txt
sudo journalctl -b-1 --no-pager |grep kernel >kernel.txt

right after what happened
sudo dmesg >dmesg.txt.log dmesg.txt.log (85.6 KB)
sudo journalctl -b0 --no-pager |grep gdm-x-session >gdm.txt.log gdm.txt.log (1.7 MB)

Looks like there was a suspend/resume cycle involved. Please check if you can set up this:
https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/440.64/README/powermanagement.html
in order to restore the video memory after suspend.

I installed the services from the link above
But nothing has changed
New logs immediately after restarting the video
sudo dmesg >dmesg2.txt.log dmesg2.txt.log (76.9 KB)
sudo journalctl -b0 --no-pager |grep gdm-x-session >gdm2.txt.log gdm2.txt.log (368.4 KB)

No errors visible in the logs.
Just a note: setting modes/orientation/whatever through the nvidia-settings application is not wise on Gnome. Gnome has its own monitor manager that gets easily confused if monitor settings gets altered by any other application like nvidia-settings or xrandr.

I sent you a screenshot of the problem with the monitor selection window

The control buttons are not visible there.
Also, any reboot of the system does not save the applied monitor settings

This window works fine only if I turn off both monitors

Does this also happen if you don’t use any scaling?

I tried to set a 100% scale not only on monitors but also on the laptop itself
Indeed, after the reboot, the location of the monitors was preserved, all the windows are working correctly and for 30 minutes I have not been observing the graphics restart.

But it’s very difficult to work on a 17-inch laptop screen with a resolution of 3840 (

As soon as I wrote the message above the sreens restarted again without any reason. However, the screen layout settings remained the same. dmesg3.txt.log (76.4 KB) gdm3.txt.log (283.7 KB)

I don’t know where this comes from, but something set some mad nvidia metamodes. Did you use nvidia-setting again or do you have some service or plugin installed that does that?

How to remove this “some mad nvidia metamodes” ?
No I not used nvidia-settings again.

Maybe some settings in the config files? Please attach /etc/X11/xorg.conf

xorg.conf.log (4.6 KB)

I set the scale on the laptop screen again to 200% and again the window elements ceased to be displayed and the arrangement of the screens ceased to be remembered.
And one of the PL3288UH monitors does not start after login. You need to disconnect the hdmi and reconnect it

Your xorg.conf doesn’t make sense in many ways. Please delete it and reboot. You shouldn’t need any xorg.conf.

This file was not
It was created by nvidia-settings
Deleted it and rebooted.
Not changed

Please create+attach a new gdm3.txt.log