Updating Linux on Jetson TK1? (cc version bump)

Sorry. Newbie.

I have a new Jetson TK1 where my application requires a compiler better than GCC 4.8.2 (preferably gcc5 but 4.9.2 works) due to its use of C++11/14, OpenMP, and other primitives. I’m also running GNURadio, which requires Fortran. The purpose of my TK1 is to test-develop the potential of incorporating OpenCL in my application.

There are a lot of posts regarding flashing the TK1 but it’s not clear what is relevant. So I’m asking these questions:

1. What Linux is available that will run on the TK1 with a relatively newer version of Linux and kernel with a newer version of GCC and will run OpenCL?

2. Where do I get it and how do I install it?

3. Repercussions of doing this?

Currently I run Ubuntu 15.04, and in one case 15.10, on my other platforms for my application. I could add a package, such as gcc-4.9-base, but generally that confuses compilation and run-time (e.g., having to alter LD_LIBRARY_PATH) and not desired.

The newest directly supported L4T is R21.4, based on Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS (L4T basically adds hardware accelerated access). The most updated gcc directly installed from standard repositories is “gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04) 4.8.4”.

Kernel version on this release is “Linux tegra-ubuntu 3.10.40-gdacac96 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jun 25 15:25:11 PDT 2015 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux”.

There have been some newer kernel versions increasing support of TegraK1/Jetson/tegra124, but I have not tried these. In particular, these do not support hardware accelerated libraries, hardware accelerated graphics, so on.

There are “roll your own” recipe-based embedded Linux building tools out there, but I have not tried these. In theory you could build a variant with newer gcc tools, but likely you would have difficulty taking advantage of CUDA and GPU hardware. See:
[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitBake[/url]