USDZ Export in 2022.3.0 Beta?

I’m still getting familiar with the Omniverse tool kit.

It was mentioned in an earlier thread that Create 2022.3.0 Beta would introduce USDZ export. I’ve installed the 2022.30 Beta version but can’t seem to find USDZ export in any of the usual places in the app. Anyone know when USDZ export feature may drop?

Thanks in advance.

Hello @usdzshare! I know that Omniverse supports the import of USDz files. We also have the ability to export USDZ to glTF in Create 2021.3.6 using our Asset Converter Extension.

I also see that we can export USDz through our Connectors to other Tools here: Connecting to Omniverse — Omniverse Connect documentation

I’m just not 100% sure if we can export directly to a USDz file format. I will need to check with the dev team to confirm. I’ll post back as soon as I have more information on this!

2 Likes

I’ve spent the past several years developing with USD on the Apple ecosystem. So I’m exploring potential synergies between what Nvidia is doing and also Apple… the best of both worlds so to speak. Whilst the Nvidia Streaming client for iPad Pro’s is a great start… its not utilizing Apples own frameworks in the way it should… RealityKit with gesture interactions, LiDAR, object occlusion etc. Nvidia would definitely drive more adoption from the Apple side with a way to harness USD fully on Apple’s side not just as a streaming client I feel. Interested to know your thoughts?

Hello @usdzshare! Heard back from the team. Here is their reply:

The “USDZ Exporter” extension needs to be enabled from the Extensions window. Then, the option to “Export USDZ” will be available in the right click context menu of a layer in the Layers window.

Let me know if this helps!

1 Like

Yes. Perfect.

Is there any way to export materials - so that the .usdz are shown in Apples Universe (IOS Quickview etc.)
Currently all materials are exported as MDL materials which is not supported on the Apple side (and it is an extension of the USD standard by NVIDIA).
For supported formats also see Apples ‘Validating feature support for USD files’

I am trying to export animated Digital Humans from Reallusion Character Generator 4 to via .usdz to
(so the materials are pretty complex and cannot be easily replaced).

I haven`t found any way to make it work with materials. .usdz Exports of animated Digital Human are working well in Apples Quickview. (except they are grey - and all materials are missing)

Is there already any way (workaround) to export working USDZ with materials) with the current version of Omniverse Create ?
I have also asked the same question in the Omniverse Discord channel and @Mati mentioned UsdPreviewSurface as a possible solution. But I haven’t found any documentation / way to make it work.

The ideal option would be exporting USDZs with MDL materials, but with a fallback onto USD materials (the USD standard might even supports this option… -)

Could the USD export extension be expanded so materials are converted to USD materials? (it seems like this MDL ↔ USD material conversion function is already available as an extension in Kit / Create. - So for someone who is deeply involved into Omniverse development it would be easy to implement this feature.

Thanks a lot,