Using NVIDIA provided OpenGL on RHEL 7.6

Hi,

I am having some difficulties getting OpenGL to work on x86 box with RHEL7.6. My understanding is that there’s a mesa version already installed. glxgears benchmark works but glxinfo shows that OpenGL is at version 2.1.

My ultimate goal is to update OpenGL to something more recent without compromising the system. I have several applications e.g. ParaView that require version 3.6 at least. Ideally, I could point to a newer OpenGL by adjusting environment in the shell and then start these apps. I use Lmod locally so adjusting environment is not a problem.

I have installed a driver and CUDA using the RPM method. I’ve got the driver at version 418.67. I can see several other packages were installed too and they seem to be relevant to graphics e.g. My idea was that I will cautiously create a new directory e.g. /lib64/nvidia, manually create some symlinks and then finish off with adjusting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH. This is what I have got right now.

rwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 36 Jun 25 12:11 libGLESv1_CM.so -> /lib64/libGLESv1_CM_nvidia.so.418.67
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 33 Jun 25 12:10 libGLESv2.so -> /lib64/libGLESv2_nvidia.so.418.67
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 30 Jun 25 12:09 libGLX.so -> /lib64/libGLX_nvidia.so.418.67
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 30 Jun 25 12:12 libGLX.so.0 -> /lib64/libGLX_nvidia.so.418.67

Now my glxgears test crashes because libGL.so is not compatible, I guess

glxgears: symbol lookup error: /lib64libGL.so.1: undefined symbol: __GLXGL_CORE_FUNCTIONS

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this. Thanks.