Using pgcollect on a subset of code?

I am currently trying to profile my code to get more information on how to best accelerate it. I have access to Tau and I can and have built a Tau-profiled version of my code, but the auto-instrumentation can only hit the outer loops. Since my code often involves loops inside loops inside &c., I thought I’d move to pgcollect before trying to hand-instrument my code.

I have used pgcollect before to look at small examples and programs and I love it, but never on the rather massive amount of code that I’m looking at and trying to speed up. I did successfully compile the entire codebase with -Minfo=ccff but when I tried to run the program with pgcollect, the system hanged or stalled out. I could see the pgsampt task in htop, but it just sat there at 0% CPU for five or more minutes.

So, I thought perhaps my code was just too big or the like. Thus, I wondered, is there a way to just compile in the CCFF information (and, perhaps, -Mpfi/pfo) for a subset of my code and then run pgcollect? In truth, I know the three or four Fortran files out of hundreds that I need to focus on thanks to Tau, so it’s sort of a waste to do line-by-line profiling of the entire code base.

Hi Matt,

Because pgcollect is an external utility that does sample based profiling over the entire program, it wont be able to just profile a portion of the code.

What you can do is compile the interesting source files with “-Mprof=lines”. Profiling instrumentation will only inserted for these portions of code. You’ll need to also link with “-Mprof=lines” so the profiling runtime libraries are added.

• Mat