VisionWorks and V4L2 camera with YV12 pixel format

Hello,

I am working on embedded application using Tegra TX1 (using JetPack 3.1). I have Avermedia CM313B (Mini PCI-e HW Encode Frame Grabber with 3G-SDI) that grab frames from SDI camera (HD, 30fps). There are some drivers included with CM313B such that camera appears as /dev/videoX and has support for V4L2. Driver can outputs YV12 or MPEG format.

My goal is to process the video using VisionWorks (stabilization + tracking) and then stream video over Ethernet. I am stuck at the beginning; how to efficiently transfer video to GPU such that I can use VisionWorks. Do you have any suggestions, which approach to use?

Some additional notes: When running VisionWorks examples on TX1 I got Segmentation fault (nvx_demo_video_stabilizer --source=“device:///v4l2?index=0”), but that is working OK on TK1 (but very slow, just a few fps). However, I can use GStreamer to capture and display video with zero latency (gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! xvimagesink). Streaming also works with 30fps using GStreamer (gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! decodebin ! videoconvert ! omxh264enc ! ‘video/x-h264, stream-format=(string)byte-stream’ ! h264parse ! rtph264pay mtu=1400 ! udpsink host=X.X.X.X port=1234), however there are some difference in latency between TX1 and TK1 (on TK1 is very low latency while on TX1 is approx 1 sec latency; any idea why?).

Best regards,
Matevž

HI mp12,

Please follow our tutorial of Visionworks and our mmapi sample.

The chapter of EGLstream interoperability tutorial and mmapi sample->12_camera_v4l2_cuda may help.

MMAPI sample with v4l2 will teach you how to catch frame into Nvbuffer and then to EGLframe. You can use EGLframe to gpu memory.

Hello WayneWWW,

when calling ioctl with VIDIOC_REQBUFS and DMABUF buffer type, I got “Failed to request v4l2 buffers: Operation not permitted (1)”. I guess that CM313B driver does not support DMA buffer mode? I am still waiting to get response from AverMedia.
Is there any example how to use NvBuffer with V4L2 MMAP? In the documentation there is NvBuffer::map() that seems to do that (“This method maps the file descriptor (FD) of the planes to a data pointer of planes. (MMAP buffers only.)”), but do not know how?

As alternative I have working example based on MMAPI’s sample v4l2cuda that uses V4L2_MEMORY_MMAP, cudaMemcpy, and gpu based code that converts YV12 format to RGB. I am planning to use vxCreateImageFromHandle to convert RGB to vx_image and then do some processing. Are there any cons/pros related to that approach?

I have similar task with other grabber and NV12 format.

My solution:

1. Grab video directly from v4l (not gstreamer, nvxio, etc.) with “user pointer” method. Allocate user pointer via cudaMallocManaged for zero-copy memory.
  2. Read frame from v4l to your pointer.
  3. Create vx_image with vxCreateImageFromHandle from this pointer and convert it to RGBX with vxuColorConvert.

Thank you. I just needed confirmation, that this is the right way. I have now image in VisionWorks’s vx_image ready to be processed.

Now I have a problem how to encode processed image with H264/H265 encoder. Did you (or anyone else) use it on vx_image?

I have this problem too.
I can’t find better solution than copy image to cpu memory and mmap it to NvBuffer.