What's your fav IB Target ?

hi all

what is everyone using for Targets with Infiniband?

Open-E (uses SCST)

SCST

Quantastor (uses SCST)

Sun (forget what it uses sim to SCST, but was really slow when tested it)

Oracle (hmmm?)

Which is the prefered protocol? SRP, IPOIB, ISER…?

What Initiator are you using? Linux, Vmware, Windows, etc…?

Yeah, I keep on breaking Gluster (latest dev code) with RDMA too, though apparently some of the older (more stabilised) releases work ok with it.

RDMA and Gluster isn’t a focus for me at the moment, so I haven’t really looked into whether it’s me doing something wrong (possible) or something that actually needs to be isolated and fixed.

With RHEL in general, I think the main focus stuff is iSCSI based, so probably iSER. However, that could be completely inaccurate. I’m kind of very focused on the bits I’m into, and haven’t really looked at other RHEL stuff much.

(note - edited for typo fixing)

That’s only IPoIB based iSCSI target.

iSER can show a performance like SRP Target.

iSER will be launch on end of this year or early of next year with vSphere new driver.

My personally preferred protocol is definitely SRP.

Used to use that with SCST a lot, before joining Red Hat a few years ago. Around RHEL 6.0 beta release time.

Only getting back into Infiniband stuff again now that I’m working with the Gluster (storage stuff) team at Red Hat.

Haven’t tried SCST nor SRP again though. It’s on my ToDo list, but not near the top.

inbusiness https://community.mellanox.com/s/profile/0051T000008EZgrQAG let’s hope it does happen in 2014

With the iSCSI stuff, were you doing iSER? (ie iSCSI using RDMA)

That super high cpu utilisation and slow transfer rate makes it sound like “no”.

But, I haven’t touched VMware 5.x yet at all, so no idea what the iSER support is like there. If it does support iSER mode, and you haven’t yet tried it, give it a shot. The difference should be like night and day (ie huge).

ok, thanks for that

were concentrating on VMWare cloud using SRP

ISCSI is still very poor in performance, we just barley reciently managed to get ISCSI on VMWare 5.1 to get 1000MB/s R/W to SSD. And CPU was 80%… ouch!

where with SRP cpu is 5%

SCST is working well but with older version 2.2 as vers3 is quite unstable for production env.

we use LCMC http://lcmc.sourceforge.net/ http://lcmc.sourceforge.net/ which is stable for cluster replication. so with SRP its a manual failover process.

We are considering using ISCSI just so we can implement 100% automated fail over for standard storage pools. ie not high perf cloud pools sql etc.

Look fwd to bouncing ideas around, sharing experience.

Cheers

I’m also wait for vSphere iSER support driver.

But i don’t know when they will launch it.

Some people said ConnectX En family can support iSER.

At this time doesn’t have a plan to support iSER on ConnectX VPI family.

But there is plan to support iSER on ling term plans.

Just waiting for next, next, next, …

Sweet, Gluster. did try it but couldnt get it to work on IB, so gave up till it matures a bit more.

not tried RHEL though. What targets does RHEL have or just all Gluster atm?

I’m also wait for vSphere iSER support driver.

But I don’t know when they will launch it.

Some people said ConnectX En family can support iSER.

At this time doesn’t have a plan to support iSER on ConnectX VPI family.

But there is plan to support iSER on ling term plans.

Just waiting for next, next, next, …

Any updates on the release date of a new driver with iser support?