Why does Omniverse need RTX graphics cards?

As mentioned, I would like to understand why Omniverse requires an RTX graphics card. Does it offer features that other non-RTX graphics cards do not? If so, can any graphics card with these features run Omniverse? I would appreciate some insights on why an RTX graphics card is necessary. Does anyone have any information on this?

@kerokerokero i am just another user so the devs/mods will be able to provide more technical insights.

my understanding is the OV platform is built to leverage the RT cores of the GPU. the minimum requirement listed on the technical doc is a RTX3070 for a good working experience and if the desire is to do more complex simulation computation or visualization at scale, you will want to scale up with cards with more VRAM for performance purposes. in other words, cards that do not have RT cores will be a limiting factor if you choose to embrace the ecosystem.

Omniverse is a real-time digital twin simulation and visualization platform built entirely on the RTX Renderer, which REQUIRES the RTX chipset in the new generation RTX graphics cards. Without these cards, the RTX Renderer cannot function, and without the ability to visualize your designs in real-time, the platform cannot work.

No other graphics cards will work. You are free to use USD and Python of course but not the RTX Renderer. In that same light, we do NOT support the Mac OS platform either. Just Windows and Linux.

@Simplychenable Thank you for your response. Based on your reply, does this imply that the RTX 20 series is also unable to run Omniverse?

@Richard3D Does that mean graphics cards like the A100 or L40S, which are not part of the RTX series, cannot run Omniverse? If the answer is that the A100 or L40S can run Omniverse, it would lead me to another question: Why are non-RTX series cards like the A100 or L40S able to run Omniverse? What I would like to understand is, what is the key factor that determines whether Omniverse can be run?

Technically any card with an RTX chipset will work, so yes, a 20 series card. However, that would be incredibly incredibly slow. We recommend at LEAST a 3070 and above. The more power the better of course.

Actually the A100 cannot run Omniverse no. It is a datacenter system, not an Omniverse system. It would have to be the L40s and L40S’s.

As stated, it just has to be an RTX gpu with the RTX chipset. If you are unsure which card to buy, just buy the very latest gaming RTX card, to as high as you can afford, or an Ada A5000 or A6000

Hi @Richard3D,
Thank you for your response.
Is there any information available to confirm whether this graphics card is equipped with an RTX chip? Of course, we can assume that the RTX series includes the RTX chip, but for the L40S, for example, I checked the information on the official website: NVIDIA L40S GPU but it doesn’t seem to mention that the L40S is equipped with an RTX core. Therefore, I would like to know if there’s a way to confirm whether this card includes an RTX chip and where I can find relevant information.

based on a quick look at the datasheet, L40S does have RT cores, but mod can certainly confirm if it can be used with OV for you.

Hi @Simplychenable
Does this mean that if a graphics card has an RT core, it automatically indicates that it has an RTX chip? If the answer is yes, then in combination with @Richard3D 's response, does this imply that a graphics card with an RT core can run Omniverse?

i can’t say definitively whether cards with RT core simply equates to compatibility with OV, hence waiting for a mod’s confirmation would be best (in terms of L40S, the mod has already confirmed in his previous post). i’ll defer to them to elaborate further on any technicalities related to their hardware offerings.

Yes RT cores should be ok for RTX.

I have seen on other threads (older than this one) that Omniverse development support for MacOS was on the roadmap. Is that still the case? Any rough ideas on when?

Unfortunately development for MacOS has never been on the roadmap for direct software installation. So if you have read that, it was in error. However, you can still access parts of Omniverse through a browser, which means that, yes, indeed, in that sense you can access it through a Mac. For example a website that is powered by RTX, Omniverse, and React, will be open to all web users, regardless of OS. Another example would be accessing a remote server session of a Linux or Windows based RTX OV server.