Workstation fail to start with K80 plugged-in

I have a workstation lenovo P900, after I plugged in a Nvidia K80 card the system fail to starts. No messages errors or beeps are presented, it looks likes the PSU just shuts down. If I unplug the power from the K80, the system initializes normally. Any suggestion on what might be causing the problem?

Yours
Jhon

Workstation specs:
2 x Intel Xeon E5-2630L v3 Processor (20MB Cache, 1.80GHz)
1 Motherboard: P900 Motherboard
6 Memory Selection: 4GB DDR4 2133MHz ECC RDIMM
1 First Video Adapter: NVIDIA Quadro K420 1GB (DVI+DP)
1 Audio Adapter: Integrated Audio
1 Hard Drive Controller: Intel Integrated Controller
2 TB Hard Drive,7200RPM,3.5",SATA
1 Power Cord: LineCord - US
1 Power Supply: Tower 1300W 92%

GPU: Nvidia K80

K80 is not designed to be plugged into a workstation. It is designed to be used in a qualified server.

Your workstation won’t know how to provide adequate cooling to the K80.

The big 3 issues are:

1. Power delivery
  2. Cooling
  3. BIOS integration - this means that the BIOS has to be able to properly map the resources for the GPU

HP Z840 is consider a workstation and looks like there is enough power and cooling for your k80 GPU. In fact is specify for 2 times k40 on the same PC.
Is it k80 and HP840 compatible?
If not, why and which HP solution you propose for k80?
Thanks Tiziano

K80 and K40 are not the same. They are not compatible in this sense.

From a power-delivery standpoint the K80 requires 300W and has a special power input connector, which I don’t believe is present on the Z840 power supply.

From a cooling standpoint, the K40c that are qualified for Z840 have their own fans and therefore “keep themselves cool”. The K80 does not have its’ own fan, and requires forced air cooling to be directed across it’s heatsink. Even though the Z840 may have substantial cooling, it does not deliver this type of directed airflow. Also, the K80 requires closed-loop cooling control with a BMC integrated on the server motherboard. There are many details to this, none of which the Z840 handles.

From a BIOS standpoint, there are specific requirements around resource mapping. The Z840 BIOS probably handles these correctly, but I can’t say for sure.

For a complete list of supported products, you should contact HP.

However the XL250a is one example of an HP server that is designed to accommodate the K80:

[url]http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04447895.pdf[/url]

This topic has been covered repeatedly on this forum if you care to look.