[525.60.11, RTX 4080] no sound output to HDMI (Ubuntu 22.10)

I’ve recently bought and installed to existing Ubuntu 22.10 GeForce RTX 4080 instead of RTX 2060. The first trouble was to install a driver for the graphics card - there is no option for that. I’ve used nvidia official website and used it’s search to find a proper one driver - 525.60.11. After the installation from a ‘.run’ file everything works just fine, but there is a problem with sound output.

I have the following connections:

1. A TV connected to HDMI-0;
  2. A monitor with built-in speakers connected to DisplayPort (DP-0);
  3. A sound system connected by optics to the motherboard port;
  4. A webcam with built-in microphone.
  5. A dedicated microphone connected via USB.

All worked well while using RTX 2060. Now I can’t play sound to the TV through the HDMI output.

aplay -l output is:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC897 Analog [ALC897 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC897 Digital [ALC897 Digital]
card 2: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [VX3211-4K ]
card 2: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [LG TV ]
card 2: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 2: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 3: NTUSB [RODE NT-USB], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

So there is LG TV on HDMI-1 listed. But there is no option in Settings to play to HDMI-1. The only option using HDA Nvidia is “HDMI”.

Alsamixer:

┌────────────────────────────── AlsaMixer v1.2.6 ──────────────────────────────┐
│ Card: HDA NVidia                                     F1:  Help               │
│ Chip: Nvidia Generic HDMI                            F2:  System information │
│ View: F3:[Playback] F4: Capture  F5: All             F6:  Select sound card  │
│ Item: S/PDIF                                         Esc: Exit               │
│                                                                              │
│                                                                              │
│                       ┌──┐     ┌──┐     ┌──┐     ┌──┐                        │
│                       │OO│     │OO│     │OO│     │OO│                        │
│                       └──┘     └──┘     └──┘     └──┘                        │
│                    < S/PDIF >S/PDIF 1 S/PDIF 2 S/PDIF 3                      │
└──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

No way to increase volume here.

pavucontrols sees as available options to HDA Nvidia:

1. Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output
  2. Digital Stereo (HDMI 4) Output (unplugged)(unavailable)
  3. Digital Stereo (HDMI 3) Output (unplugged)(unavailable)
  4. Digital Stereo (HDMI 2) Output
  5. Pro Audio
  6. Off

When I choose HDMI or HDMI 2 they both plays to HDMI - my monitor with speakers instead of TV.

I can even see 2 devices on Nvidia card, but choosing any of them causing playing sound to the monitor again

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (374.4 KB)

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

Updated my post with the attachment. Thank you!

From the alsa point of view, everything seems to be correct so I guess it’s just another pulseaudio issue, since it even doesn’t list the HDMI-1 port. Please try this:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1705436#p1705436

Thank you generix, I’ve tried to test speaker as in the link you provided and ALL Nvidia devices made output to the same HDMI 0 (DisplayPort).

Additionally, I think Ubuntu 22.10 uses PipeWire instead of PulseAudio, isn’t it? I see that pactl info gives server name “PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.58)”, can it be the problem?

Unlikely, since speakertest should use the low-level alsa interface. So I guess this is indeed a nvidia driver bug with the new 4080.
Please check using the newly released 525.73 driver, possibly using the graphics driver ppa:
https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
Maybe something stupid: if you disconnect the viewsonic monitor and reboot, does the TV audio get accessible?