A40 / displaymodeselector --gpumode graphics / Specified GPU mode not supported on this device 0x2235?

I cannot get the A40s on my system to change to GPU mode.
I get the same error on Windows and 2 different Linux distros.

How do I get this to work?
Thanks

root@sc03-bmil:~/NVIDIA Display Mode Selector Tool-March-2023-1.59.0/1.59.0/linux/x64# ./displaymodeselector --gpumode graphics -i 0

NVIDIA Display Mode Selector Utility (Version 1.59.0)
Copyright (C) 2015-2021, NVIDIA Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

WARNING: This operation updates the firmware on the board and could make
the device unusable if your host system lacks the necessary support.

Are you sure you want to continue?
Press ‘y’ to confirm (any other key to abort):
y
Specifed GPU Mode “physical_display_enabled_256MB_bar1”

Graphics Device (10DE,2235,10DE,145A) S:00,B:01,D:00,F:00

Specified GPU mode not supported on this device 0x2235.

root@sc03-bmil:~/NVIDIA Display Mode Selector Tool-March-2023-1.59.0/1.59.0/linux/x64#

Hi @daemonix00,

What kind of output do you get if you use the interactive mode of simply using displaymodeselecotr --gpumode? It should show you all available modes.

Also, for Windows, you will need to change the driver model from TCC to WDDM as well by using nvidia-smi. Check the documentation that comes with the displaymodeselector tool for more details.

Thanks!

Hi,

Interactive mode gives me the 3 option as per the documentation:

Regarding windows, I think the doc says first to change the gpumode to “graphics” and then do thing to the Windows Driver… No?
(this is the smi output with everything default)

Regarding the order of use of the two tools I think this is interchangeable.

But looking at your output I am at a loss right now as to why this does not work. I’ll reach out internally to get more eyes on this and how to debug further.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks please let me know if there is any other trick for it.

Regarding TCC to WDDM, its not, it give an error when I tried without the GPU in “graphics” mode.

1 Like

Hello I have the same issue with this card.
Could you find any advice on this matter?

Hello, I also have the exact same issue with this card. Followed the docs to a T. Tried on both windows and linux installations. Each time it says that the A40: "Specified GPU mode not supported on this device 0x2235)

Hello, I also have the same issue with this card.

How to change operationg mode to Graphic ??

Welcome @s.rapmundm, @crusito_chulo and @yonghun.shin to the NVIDIA developer forums!

Some good news for all, the issue has been identified and fixed and will be part of the next release.

What I cannot say exactly is when the release will be available for download.

If get the news before you, I’ll update the thread.

Thanks!

Perfect thank you !!!

Appreciate it. I’ll wait your update.

Hi,
What was the problem? Is it related to some other configuration?
When is the next release coming?
Thanks

Hi all.

The updated version is 1.6.0 with full Ada support and should be available for download now. This is a “on-request” tool, so either use your existing download link or follow the process here.

Thanks!

@MarkusHoHo , Same error.
What is this error about?
Thanks

root@XXX:~/NVIDIA Display Mode Selector Tool-March-2023-1.60.0/1.60.0/linux/x64# ./displaymodeselector --gpumode -i 0

NVIDIA Display Mode Selector Utility (Version 1.60.0)
Copyright (C) 2015-2021, NVIDIA Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

WARNING: This operation updates the firmware on the board and could make
         the device unusable if your host system lacks the necessary support.

Are you sure you want to continue?
Press 'y' to confirm (any other key to abort): 
y
Select a number:
<0> physical_display_enabled_256MB_bar1
<1> physical_display_disabled
<2> physical_display_enabled_8GB_bar1

Select a number (ESC to quit): 

Specifed GPU Mode "physical_display_enabled_256MB_bar1"

Graphics Device      (10DE,2235,10DE,145A) S:00,B:01,D:00,F:00

Specified GPU mode not supported on this device 0x2235.

root@XXX:~/NVIDIA Display Mode Selector Tool-March-2023-1.60.0/1.60.0/linux/x64# 

I am out of ideas. This was supposed to be fixed with 1.60, I passed it back to engineering.

Sorry for the issues!

I encountered the same issue . I used 1.60 tools ,But the same .
How to do next step ?

A40s and/or this tool is broken…

I worked with an senior NV tech guy and while he did changed the mode, the cards never worked as stated in the manual or the specs (I was testing windows in my case).

I returned all and got A6000s.

I have the same problem with two A40 on one device, and only one can be modified,

I have a L40s and have a similar issue. I set it to physical_display_enabled_256MB_bar1 and also tried 8GB. and then in windows used did nvidia-smi.exe -fdm 0. Now I get 4 displayports in topography view but they all say not connected even though there is a working display port connection to a computer screen (tested with a 4060).

Datacener GPUs default to TCC mode, not WDDM (windows only). Those datacenter GPUs supported by DisplayModeSelector Tool can be toggled into WDDM mode… which can turn tricky, if there is not a single GPU in WDDM mode, for windows to run its desktop on :-(. But if you get to windows desktop, run nvidia-smi (post output here), check if the GPU in doubt is recognized, and if yes, if its in TCC mode. if yes, use nvidia-smi to toggle it into WDDM mode, then it should work for attached screens and desktops… the (actively cooled) workstation RTX cards default to WDDM, the datacenter GPUs (passive cooled) default to TCC mode…