About the use of CloudXR via VPN

We are considering offering CloudXR via VPN for our service.
The VPN speed is 60Mbps, which is required for CloudXR.
However, we are afraid that the performance of short packets will be degraded if we use IPSec.
Can you please tell us the following.

1. How much network latency is acceptable?
  2. What is the packet size used for CloudXR communication?

Here’s my real quick thoughts in response to this:

• “VPN speed is 60 Mbps” - This worries me. Are you guaranteed 60 Mbps for a single client device? Or is it 60 Mbps shared in some way? Personally, I would want more headroom, but this could work.
  • IPSec - I have no experience with this. If you have control over the configuration, you want to look for advice/settings on how to configure for very-low-latency applications like game streaming, network gaming (even without streaming), etc. In particular see whether the underlying protocol is using TCP or UDP, and you want to use UDP.
  • “How much latency is acceptable?” Dependent on use case. For Beat Saber, you want latencies in the range of 0 (zero) milliseconds. :-) But more realistically, network round-trip latencies in the range of 60-120 ms are widely deployed successfully more most use cases.
  • “What is the packet size for CloudXR communication?” - I don’t know the answer to this, in part because CloudXR uses multiple open network streams on multiple ports using multiple protocols. Overall, in CloudXR 4.0, the streaming takes place using WebRTC’s underlying stream protocol, SRTP.

My general advice is: test-and-see.

Thanks for the reply.

We are currently designing the network that will serve CloudXR.
We will test it as soon as it is ready.