Accessing Jetson NANO with VNC

Hi there.
I’m having troubles accessing my jetson NANO from a remote pc via VNC. Something you can do with 3 clicks on a €20 raspberry, but seems impossible to do on a €120 board. lol.
I can’t attach my NANO to any HDMI display. I need to be able to have full control with mouse and keyboard from a remote (windows) pc, connected to the same router.

What I already tried:
I started from this guide: https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/learn/tutorials/vnc-setup . (did all via ssh terminal from another pc)
It works on installing and setting up things(i guess), but then no clues on how to go on. Just rebooting and starting the VNC viewer from remote pc doesn’t work.

Then I looked here: Jetson Nano vnc/headless connections - #3 by infojk16g .I tried to do

export DISPLAY=:0
# Enable the VNC server
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino enabled true
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino prompt-enabled false
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino require-encryption false
# Reboot the system so that the settings take effect
sudo reboot

As suggested in the post
then tried to create an openvino executable file as suggested by another user:

#!/bin/bash
export DISPLAY=:0
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino enabled true
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino prompt-enabled false
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino require-encryption false
/usr/lib/vino/vino-server &

but the output is:

Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
Cannot open display: :0
Run ‘vino-server --help’ to see a full list of available command line options

also running directly vino-server with different DISPLAY settings gives me the same result.

…And from there i’m really stuck. And I find a little frustrating that the documentation doesn’t provide an specific suggestion.

additional information: trying running an X server using putty and XLaunch works, but i’m able to open only one gui-application at a time (eg. nautilus, firefox etc…) but the display gets disconnected every 2 minutes, and I am still unable to access the whole linux GUI…

Any suggestions?

When you connect the jetson nano micro usb port to your ubuntu host, it will have a prompt and there is a file README-vnc.txt.

In this file, there is a section to create dummy display in xorg.

Setting the Desktop Resolution

The desktop resolution is typically determined by the capabilities of the
display that is attached to Jetson. If no display is attached, a default
resolution of 640x480 is selected. To use a different resolution, edit
/etc/X11/xorg.conf and append the following lines:

Section "Screen"
   Identifier    "Default Screen"
   Monitor       "Configured Monitor"
   Device        "Tegra0"
   SubSection "Display"
       Depth    24
       Virtual 1280 800 # Modify the resolution by editing these values
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Please note that you don’t need anything like Xlaunch for this case. Just add this with default jetpack setup and it should create a dummy screen for you. You shall see it through xrandr command.

1 Like