Announcing JetPack 5.0 Developer Preview with Jetson Linux 34.1

We are pleased to announce the release of JetPack 5.0 Developer Preview. This is a development release with a full compute stack update including CUDA 11.4, as well as Jetson Linux 34.1 with Linux Kernel 5.10, an Ubuntu 20.04 based root file system, a UEFI based bootloader, and OP-TEE as Trusted Execution Environment.

This release supports Jetson AGX Orin Developer Kit as well as Jetson AGX Xavier series and Jetson Xavier NX series developer kits and commercial modules.

JetPack 5.0 Developer Preview highlights include:

• Support for Jetson AGX Orin Developer Kit
  • Support to emulate performance of production Jetson Orin NX series and Jetson AGX Orin series modules with Jetson AGX Orin Developer Kit
  • LTS Kernel 5.10
  • Ubuntu 20.04 based reference file system
  • OP-TEE Trusted Execution Environment
  • UEFI bootloader
  • Support for NVSCI: Provides utilities for streaming data packets between different applications and for interprocess communication (IPC)
  • New Jetson Power GUI: Tool for monitoring power and thermal status
  • New NVUtils Multimedia buffer management and buffer transformation API
  • NVIDIA Container Runtime no longer mounts user level libraries like CUDA, cuDNN and TensorRT from the host. These will instead need to be installed inside the container.

Please note that JetPack 5.0 Developer Preview is not intended for production use, and has known issues documented in the Jetson Linux release notes. Please read the release notes carefully.

JetPack 5.0 Developer Preview components:

• Jetson Linux 34.1
  • CUDA 11.4.14
  • TensorRT 8.4.0 Early Access
  • cuDNN 8.3.2
  • VPI 2.0
  • OpenCV 4.5.4
  • Vulkan 1.3
  • Nsight Systems 2021.5
  • Nsight Graphics 2021.5
  • Nsight Compute 2021.2.4.1

Jetson Linux 34.1 Developer Guide: Welcome — Jetson Linux
Developer Guide 34.1 documentation

Please find TensorFlow and PyTorch wheels in Jetson Download Center

Install JetPack 5.0 Developer Preview via Debian package management tool, NVIDIA SDK Manager, or SD card image (for Jetson Xavier NX Developer Kit).

For Jetson Xavier NX Developer Kit, note that it must be flashed with JetPack 5.0 Developer Preview at least once with SDK Manager or flash.sh command line tool before the JetPack 5.0 DP SD Card image can be used. Please use a 64GB SDcard at a minimum for this release

Following containers images are availalble on NGC for JetPack 5.0 Developer Preview:

The following items will be available shortly (we will add links as accordingly):

2 Likes

Hello,

in JetPack 5.0, is OpenCV 4.5.4 library compiled for Jetson with CUDA capabilities ?

Alain

PS : the Jetson Xavier NX dev kit link is dead.

@easybob OpenCV is not compiled with CUDA enabled in JetPack out of the box.

Corrected the link to point to JetPack page where you can find the Jetson Xavier NX SD Card image.

Many thx suhash !

I will test this brand new JetPack ! And i will try to compile OpenCV !

Have a nice day.

Alain

Please be careful with upgrades after installing.
It just bricked my Jetson NX.
No boot, nothing is happening after powering in.
Trying to boot again with fresh image from SD Card doesn’t help.
Later will try to bring back via host computer and will inform if successful.

1 Like

Too bad.

I hope you will be able to recover your SBC.

I will wait a bit before tryng this new JetPack !

Alain

1 Like

@easybob It is back to life, now the only problem is that via SDK Manager doesn’t want to install Jetson SDK Components, but flashes device, which is good :).

[Update 1] Finally it is installing Jetson SDK components, problem was that for some reason 32GB SD Card was too small.

[Update 2] … but takes forever ~2.5h and still installing now on NVMe.

Well, good news. All 's well that ends well !

Alain

1 Like

@suhash

There are some errors on below page in 1.5 point 4.
https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/jetpack/install-jetpack/index.html

correct info is on this page
https://docs.nvidia.com/vpi/installation.html

@suhash Can you check if git repositories are updated with the release? It looks like kernel git nv-tegra.nvidia Code Review - linux-5.10.git/summary doesn’t contain the 5.0DP release.

@ldec thanks for catching that. We will fix it soon.
Btw, when you tried NX devkit, did you follow the note we wrote. For this release, we could not make the change to upate QSPI from the SDCard image. So for JetPack 5.0, one will need to follow this note we wrote:
For Jetson Xavier NX Developer Kit, note that it must be flashed at least once with SDK Manager or flash.sh command line tool before the JetPack 5.0 DP SD Card image can be used.
So you will need to flash JetPack 5.0 Developer Preview with SDKM first before using SDCard. I am sure you followed that but just checking.

@skrilax nv-tegra update is going on. It will be updated in next couple of hours.

How did you solve this problem? Mine is bricked as well after updating to jetpack5. It booted fine and I was going through the initial setup stuff. Then it would not reboot anymore.

1 Like

@ludwigc asking the same question i asked @ldec. Did you first flash the NX devkit with JetPack 5.0 DP using SDKM and then only used the sdcard image. Can you please help me with the steps you used? It will help us to debug the issue if you followed the steps of using SDKM before using SDCard image.

I followed the instructions here: https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/learn/get-started-jetson-xavier-nx-devkit#prepare using etcher on a macOS computer. Thee first time the Xavier NX booted up fine and I did go through all of the initial setup stuff (e.g. setting up the user etc). When the system asked for a reboot, I did, but the Xavier was dead.

1 Like

Thanks @ludwigc . As we have mentioned in the JetPack page and also in this announcmenet. For this release we added this note:
For Jetson Xavier NX Developer Kit, note that it must be flashed at least once with SDK Manager or flash.sh command line tool before the JetPack 5.0 DP SD Card image can be used.
For this release, we could not make the change to upate QSPI from the SDCard image and hence need SDKM flashing first.
Would you be able to try that? Hope that explains

Where do I find the SDK Manager? Is that available on macOS or do I need to find a linux computer?

@ludwigc the SDK Manager link is in the JetPack page. Copying here for your easy reference:

https://developer.nvidia.com/sdkmanager_deb

You will need a Linux PC. NVIDIA SDK Manager can be installed on Ubuntu 20.04 or Ubuntu 18.04 to flash Jetson with JetPack

I tried to flash the Xavier NX using the sdkmanager. However when I get to the point where you connect the Xavier to your PC, it does not show up on the linux side.