Another beginner question: CUDA on SUSE 11.0

Dear all,
I am a C++ etc coder, but new to vectorised computing. Just bought a GTX 280! Now I am trying to install it under SUSE 11.0. Has anyone experience with that? I had already problems installing the CUDA driver, it complained that no CUDA compatible GPU was installed… Should I downgrade to SUSE 10.3 or is it another problem?
Appreciate any help!
Cheers,
Micahel

openSUSE 11.0 is not officially supported, however there has been a success story posted to this forum: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=72500

OpenSUSE 11.0 will be supported in the next CUDA release.

Thanks a lot! I tried to install it with this tipps. When I run now deviceQuery, I get the following error message:

FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.25.11-0.1-default/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko): No such device

NVIDIA: failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module.

There is no device supporting CUDA.

Device 0: “Device Emulation (CPU)”

Major revision number: 9999

Minor revision number: 9999

Total amount of global memory: 4294967295 bytes

Number of multiprocessors: 16

Number of cores: 128

Total amount of constant memory: 65536 bytes

Total amount of shared memory per block: 16384 bytes

Total number of registers available per block: 8192

Warp size: 1

Maximum number of threads per block: 512

Maximum sizes of each dimension of a block: 512 x 512 x 64

Maximum sizes of each dimension of a grid: 65535 x 65535 x 1

Maximum memory pitch: 262144 bytes

Texture alignment: 256 bytes

Clock rate: 1.35 GHz

Concurrent copy and execution: No

Test PASSED

I also attached the bug report from NVIDIA. It does not recognise the card I guess… Does anyone know, what to do? Thanks a lot for any tipp!!

Cheers,

Michael
nvidia_bug_report.txt (156 KB)

Looks like you nvidia driver isn’t loaded. Are you running without X? Try loading the kernel modul manually.

modprobe nvidia

Hmm, I tried

init 3

modprobe nvidia

and get as answer:

FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.25.11-0.1-default/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko): No such device

UPDATE: Problem solved. I had to change in the bios the primary graphics card from the on board intel one to the GTX, and plugged my screen to the GTX as well. Now everything runs fine!!

So, now let’s parallise :-)