Booting Jetson Nano from USB Drive with Connect Tech Photon carrier board

Hello @ConnectTechInc (cc @SpencerGill and @amitg), I am using a production Jetson Nano with Connect Tech’s Photon carrier board. I’m facing an issue where there isn’t enough storage space on the 16GB eMMC chip to hold Jetson OS, the CTI-L4T BSP, and the JetPack SDK components I need for my application (mainly CUDA and Deepstream).

When I create a Jetpack 4.4.1 image, install the CTI-L4T BSP on it, and flash it to the Jetson Nano over USB, that leaves about 7GB left of space on the Nano’s eMMC chip. When I try to use SDK Manager to install all the JetPack SDK components on top of that (which take more than 7GB of space), my Nano runs out of room. Not to mention that I need about 1GB of my own space for the application code, libraries, and assets for my project.

I tried following these instructions to copy my filesystem over to a 500GB USB 3.0 SDD and use it as the primary file storage, but it doesn’t work. When I get to the step where I modify the boot configuration to boot from the USB SSD and then try to reboot my Nano, it doesn’t boot. The process works perfectly on my Developer Kit Jetson Nano, but it doesn’t work when I use a Production Jetson Nano SOM with the Photon carrier board.

Do you have any recommendations for how I can add a USB SDD or other storage medium as my primary filesystem with the Jetson Nano on a Photon Carrier board? The 16GB eMMC chip just isn’t enough to hold everything I need for my application.

Thanks!

Hi EdjeElectonics -

Have you contacted our Tech Team? If you fill out our support form (found here), they can help walk you through the steps, and troubleshoot any issues you may encounter.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Jacki