Boot from USB

Hi,

We are working on a project where we are designing the Jetson Nano into a product. The SD slot will not be accessible from the outside and due to this we wonder if it is possible to have a mechanism to do a recovery boot from USB which flashes the SD card. We do have both the USB 2,0 and the USB 3.0 available externally.

Best regards,
Henrik

Hi,

There is one thing we should clarify first.

You want to make jetson Nano a product but you are still using sdcard image?
The sdcard image is only for development kit. For a product, you should use the jetson nano production module which is emmc based.
The design guide we provided are for production module but not the sdcard module.

Thanks for the answer!

Yes, we will use the eMMC version but we only have the SD-card version at the moment.

We would like to use a 64 or 128 GB eMMC, but I believe the Jetson Nano is only available with 16 GB. Is this correct? Can we put a larger eMMC on the card that carries the Jetson Nano in that case?

And coming back to my first question, can we boot from USB to copy an image to the eMMC in that case?

Best regards,
Henrik

Yes, the emmc is only 16GB. Most users would use usb or add extra sdcard slot to boot rootfs from usb/sdcard.

And coming back to my first question, can we boot from USB to copy an image to the eMMC in that case?

No, currently it is not supported.

Ok, how ís the eMMC programmed in that case?

In that case, bootloader and kernel are still programmed to emmc. You still need the flash.sh to do that work.

After kernel is up, it can pick up the rootfs(file system) from external storage.
https://elinux.org/Jetson/L4T/Boot_From_External_Device