C1060 failed to be installed on Windows 7 x64

I have a small server with 2x Tesla C1060 cards installed. Video is an on-board Matrox G200eW. I have successfully installed everything on 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04 (a linux release). But I failed to installed in Windows 7 x64 (ultimate version; see below for details). So this should not be a hardware problem. But the maker told me the failure is due to conflict between the on-board video card and Tesla cards, and I should prohibit the on-board video via BIOS and installed another nVidia video card for display! Any idea?

The files I used to installed are (downloaded from C1060 page and used in order):

driver: 197.03_Tesla_win7_winvista_64bit_international_whql.exe (I also tried a general driver [devdriver_3.0_winvista-win7_64_197.13_general.exe] downloaded from CUDA page but failed too)

toolkit: cudatoolkit_3.0_win_64.exe

SDK: gpucomputingsdk_3.0_win_64.exe

All installation went well without any errors. Then I ran deviceQuery.exe in SDK to test the installation and got the message below:

C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GPU Computing SDK\C\bin\win64\Release\deviceQuery.exe Starting…

CUDA Device Query (Runtime API) version (CUDART static linking)

There is no device supporting CUDA

PASSED

I also tried some other programs and even installation in safe mode but all failed. Actually, when I installed in linux, exactly same problem occurred. Then I followed the instructions in release note and installed a booting script and solved the problem. However, I don’t know how to use this linux solution on Windows 7. It seems these 2 systems are too different. The script used in linux is:

#!/bin/bash

  modprobe nvidia

if [ "$?" -eq 0 ]; then

# Count the number of NVIDIA controllers found.

  N3D=`/sbin/lspci | grep -i NVIDIA | grep "3D controller" | wc -l`

  NVGA=`/sbin/lspci | grep -i NVIDIA | grep "VGA compatible controller" | wc -l`

N=`expr $N3D + $NVGA - 1`

  for i in `seq 0 $N`; do

  mknod -m 666 /dev/nvidia$i c 195 $i;

  done

mknod -m 666 /dev/nvidiactl c 195 255

else

  exit 1

  fi

You need to use the TCC driver, which you can find by going to Download Drivers -> Tesla -> 1U System -> Windows Server 2008 x64. I’m not sure if that supports the C1060 or not, but the technical problem is that the Matrox card’s XPDM driver prevents the use of any WDDM driver, which the standard C1060 drivers are.

You need to use the TCC driver, which you can find by going to Download Drivers -> Tesla -> 1U System -> Windows Server 2008 x64. I’m not sure if that supports the C1060 or not, but the technical problem is that the Matrox card’s XPDM driver prevents the use of any WDDM driver, which the standard C1060 drivers are.

I finally discovered the same solution to this problem with my Windows 7 system this weekend, after spending the better part of 2 weeks tracking the problem down. Can Nvidia please post this information in an obvious location on the CUDA 3.0 Download site so that others can benefit from it more readily?

I finally discovered the same solution to this problem with my Windows 7 system this weekend, after spending the better part of 2 weeks tracking the problem down. Can Nvidia please post this information in an obvious location on the CUDA 3.0 Download site so that others can benefit from it more readily?

It worked! Thanks tmurray!

Just some more details during my operation which may be useful for other guys. I removed everything under safe mode as usual using a software sweeper in 360safe package (a Chinese software) and then Driver Sweeper 2.1.0 cleaned some more files in system. Restart following the suggestion. Reinstall the TCC driver (197.03_Tesla_winserv2008_64bit_international_whql.exe; downloaded from Download Drivers -> Tesla -> 1U System -> S1070 -> Windows Server 2008 x64 -> English). Reinstall previous versions of toolkit and SDK. Run test deviceQuery.exe . Same error occurred! Then I restarted into normal mode and tested again. This time it worked!

Yes, as KimK suggested, the driver should be put in a better place.

It worked! Thanks tmurray!

Just some more details during my operation which may be useful for other guys. I removed everything under safe mode as usual using a software sweeper in 360safe package (a Chinese software) and then Driver Sweeper 2.1.0 cleaned some more files in system. Restart following the suggestion. Reinstall the TCC driver (197.03_Tesla_winserv2008_64bit_international_whql.exe; downloaded from Download Drivers -> Tesla -> 1U System -> S1070 -> Windows Server 2008 x64 -> English). Reinstall previous versions of toolkit and SDK. Run test deviceQuery.exe . Same error occurred! Then I restarted into normal mode and tested again. This time it worked!

Yes, as KimK suggested, the driver should be put in a better place.